How can I keep pet's water bottles from freezing?

Okay, I have two rabbits that are outside in a cage. We have put hay in their hutches for them, and they are doing really well. They run around and play all of the time, so I know they are okay. However, their water bottles freeze up. How can I keep them from freezing? Would putting wool socks on them keep them from freezing? Give me some ideas please. Thanks

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 8:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pets

• http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-21844-thermodrink-cover-stop-rabbit-water-bottle-freezing-l.aspx
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Maybe you could fill it with warm water then wrap it in a towel and cover that towel in foil? My mom used to do that to keep them cool when I lived in AZ and it worked well. Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Try bringing your pets inside your home where they belong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Excuse me anon but pets CAN be outside as long as they have proper shelter which sounds like she does. Do your research b4 opening your flap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• can you get a heat lamp for them?
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 10:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think if the water freezes then maybe just bring the bunnies in on those really cold nights.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would really bring them in to be honest. I know they can be outside but if it's dipping to low no matter what you do the water could freeze. I put food and water outside for stray cats and tried everything but nothing prevented it from freezing.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• not sure how it would effect your rabbits but some salt in the water might help.
    MamaMudd7

Answer by MamaMudd7 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• AS A RABBIT OWER YOU NEVER WANT TO BRING ANY OUT DOOR PET IN AND OUT THAT IS HOW THEY GET SICK. DO YOU USE A WATER BOTTLE? IF YOU DO USE A RABBIT PROF BOWL. EVEN IF IT FREEZS THEY STILL CAN LICK THE ICE TO GET SOMETHING TO DRINK AND THEY WILL EAT IT TOO. THAT WILL HELP KEEP THEIR TEETH SHORT. IF ANY ONE HAS AN OUT DOOR CAT OR DOG GO TO YOUR FRAM SUPPLY STORE AND GET A FLAT BACK HEATED BUCKET FOR HORSES THEY WORK REAL GOOD FOR OUT DOOR PUTS. JUST PLUG IT IN AND THEY HAVE WARM WATER TO DRINK.
    MOMACHAR

Answer by MOMACHAR at 8:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2009