Do you measure?

In the kitchen, I really don't measure things much at all. Unless a recipe or something I am making calls for just enough fluid to cook pasta or rice, I don't measure.

Maybe part of it is that I cook the same stuff a lot and just know how it should look and taste.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I measure when baking, or making a new recipe. Otherwise, I just eyeball everything. IU tend to be more of a "tastes good" kind of cook: I add things until they taste good. I drove my mother nuts one time doing it that way. I made my own taco seasoning, and told my mom how good it was, and she wanted the recipe. My response was well, it has this, and this, and this, listing off all the spices, and then saying, "but I don't know how much of each thing. I just kind of shook it in there until it tasted good." lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I only measure when I'm baking.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• nope, my granny doesn't measure, my mom doesn't measure so i've learned not to measure :) only if its a new recipe or something. otherwise i just dump it in!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Sometimes when I'm trying a new recipe for the first time. Even then, I usually wing it. They baby has lost most of my measuring cups, so its a good thing I can cook!! lol
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I do when I'm making something new for the first time, and I always measure when I make rice. I want it to come out right, every time, no chance of a mistake. So I measure. And I measure while baking. Horrible things can go wrong if I don't measure when baking. Its an exact science.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I don't measure either, unless it's a difficult recipe or one I've never tried before. But, I can usually just 'eye' the amounts or add until I'm satisfied with how it tastes.
    MaryHatchet

Answer by MaryHatchet at 10:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• When I am baking something sensitve, like breads, cakes, cookies I mesure but when I am makeing dinners I dont measure, even if I am trying something new. I guess that is just me though.
    MAMMA2DYANDTY

Answer by MAMMA2DYANDTY at 12:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Most of the time I don't. Unless it is a new recipe with things I have never used before.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have to agree w/ everyone, I don't measure unless I'm trying something new. I remember cooking with my grandma and she was teaching me to make pie crust. her recipe started w/ two handfuls of crisco.....cracked me up
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 1:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009