I think my husband is going through a mid-life crisis and it's driving me crazy. How do I know and how do I handle it?

Lately he is very distant. He is happy one week and then the next week he says he doesn't know what he wants. He turned 40 last year.

Melimom

Asked by Melimom at 9:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm sorry, I wish I had better advice. My husband isn't there yet. My dad just went out and got a Harley and some tattoos for his midlife crisis. Yep...Mom's happy. He also play: ice hockey, softball, and football.

Maybe you could suggest some hobbies. Something that can help him take his mind off things...keep him physically active.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You constantly reaffirm that he is a good husband, a good father, that you appreciate all his efforts to provide for you, that you are glad you are married to him, and the like. If he is having a "crisis", it probably just means that he is wondering if he could have made better choices and had he done things differently, if you all wouldn't be better off than you are. You just need to let him know that you are fine with the way things have turned out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I am thinking that my hubby is going through the same thing but not really sure. How old they supposed to be to experience this? and how long does a midlife crisis suppose to last?
    MisV

Answer by MisV at 10:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My husband turned 40 last year too. They say 40 is the new 30; he better not be going through mid-life crisis at 30! All fun aside though, this might be one of the times I put my foot down. If you're having a problem, we can work it out. We can get a counselor, we can send you to a counselor, but this one week everything's roses and next week it's thorns crap has to end somewhere because you're sucking our happiness and jeopardizing our home life with it. Work on it, identify it, set about fixing it (all healthily of course) or get over it. But stop it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2009