My 10 wk old sleeps during his naps only by being held or in our bed. My pediatrician said this becomes a bad habit after 3 months old. Any experiences in this area?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our 6 month old was the same way and with 2 other kiddos running around I was just happy to get him to sleep. But it is now a problem as he will not sleep any other way. We are now trying to break him of the habit and let me tell you it has not been easy. I suggest trying to get him to sleep in his own bed now so that you can avoid our situation! Maybe try using a mobile or animal that plays music so he gets used to hearing it and will associate it with sleeping! Good luck.
    my3sonstaxi

Answer by my3sonstaxi at 9:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree with the pp, try and break it now. Many people will say enjoy the time with him and that you can't spoil him, but it isn't realistic for them to only sleep like that. My 5 month old will only fall asleep by being rocked or held and with a paci. I can't leave her with anyone because I would hate to put on them the duty of putting her to sleep so we are trying to break it and it is hard! Plus when they get older it gets tiring holding a much heavier baby for hours. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yes - Yes - Yes try and do it now. I have 3 (youngest is 7 months old) all of them were like this early on. They have always needed me to rock and soothe them - still don't sleep thru the night (I also have a 5 yo and 2 yo). With my last - I was gonna stop it early on, but I didn't have the support of family to do so. For example - If I laid her down and she started crying, I would go in and talk to her and maybe pat her, but they would go pick her up! GGGRRR!!! It's a hard one to break - of course - if your baby is sick, that is different, but as long as she is fine, fed, and dry - try to let her put herself to sleep.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• After seeing what happened with my sisters children I from day one tried to get my son to sleep in his crib. Now at 11 months that is where he sleeps for naps and bedtime, all night, thank goodness. The first two weeks he slept in bed with us, and the bouncy chair for naps. But I again tried and tried, and got him to sleep in the crib. It started out half the time in the crib, then the rest in bed with us. By the time he was three months old he was in the crib all the time. Now when he gets sleepy I lay him in his crib and walk out of the room, and he puts himself to sleep. It is not easy, but easier done now, rather then later. I wish you well. Also we have his crib in our bedroom, and I think that helps a lot.
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009