Lukewarm Christian

OK. I admit to being what some would call a Lukewarm Christian. What I don't understand is why so many people seem to have a problem with it. For me, I choose to take from the Bible and Christianity, the love that is spoken. I suppose that makes me, by extension, a very tolerant person. Why do I do this? Because if I didn't, the fearmongering and hatred would kill me. It is possible that I am wrong in my beliefs, it has happened before. How does me being a nice person, that honestly likes other people, and isn't gifted with the ability to prosthelise, a bad Christian?

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Gretchen ~ It comes down to those who take the bible literally word by word and those that take it figuratively. Those that don't realize that the bible stories have underlying meanings and express the bible as a pure fact will look down on you. That doesn't make them a better Christian at all. Being a "lukewarm" Christian means you get the bible. You know what parts you need to take and what parts help choose your morals and values. Don't worry about those who judge, they have no rights to do so. You are doing just fine.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 10:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I don't mean to be rude but are you looking to be attacked by other Christians?!?

As far as answering your question, as long as you have faith you are okay by God so why worry what others think?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I expect that it may happen (that I will be "attacked") but it is a genuine question. One that just occured to me, so I thought I would ask.
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• you can not pick and chose in the bible. The love shown in the bible is overwhelming but there are a few things that are stated that we are to stay away from or are an abomination before the lord. Does that mean you hate anyone no. My best friend is gay. the bible states this is wrong. I do not like the fact that she chose this lifestyle but I still love her dearly. I do not socialize with her the way I once did but we are always there for each other. I do not hate those who do not believe as me I will not beat them in the head with my bible but I will tell you what the bible specifically states about things. If you shose not to believe that is your loss and I hav done my duty by stating the facts. I will not persecute those who do not live by the bible but I chose to.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Lyndall ~ You don't speak to her because of her lifestyle? Doesn't the bible teach you not to judge and to love thy neighbor?

Gretchen ~ Good luck in finding your answer. :o)
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 10:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• njmommy, that's exactly my point!! There are many contradictions in the Bible, as far as what to do. How is it that when I "choose" the good parts, I am considered lukewarm. When others choose the less tolerant parts, they are considered "good". I don't get it.
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Wow!Lyndall?What if your child told you they were gay?Would you not speak to them either?
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 10:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• To be fair to Lyndall, she said they don't "hang out" like before, but it is still her friend.
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Even at that.NOTHING could change my feelings toward my children.NOTHING can seperate us.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 10:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Thanks njmommy. Let's say for a moment that I do believe the Bible. Some parts stress love above all else, and not to judge. Other parts stress sin, and how to handle sin. The two don't mesh. They don't compliment eachother. So, how could anyone not "choose" which part to follow?
    Gretchen2876

Answer by Gretchen2876 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2009