Is it possible to discipline an 18 month old and how?

My daughter just recently was sick. During that time, her father threw all rules out the window and let her do whatever she wanted to do. Now that she's feeling better, she screams and screeches for every little thing she wants or dislikes. Needless to say, it's really irritating me since I'm the one home all day with her. I need help!

Asked by vivaciousv17 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we do time out in his crib...but I think we started that at 2...I can't remember for sure. regardless...we do time out

Answer by coffeemama at 4:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Aaaahh yes, my husband did the same and still does (our daughter is 4). At least now she knows not to screech and scream with me, she only does it with him, HA HA! I would tell you to put her in time out for a certain amount of time... I used to put my daughter in her crib and just let her scream her head off. She was in her crib, she wasn't hurting herself or anyone. Sometimes, they either need to blow off steam or they need to know you're going to ignore them if they act like that, so either way it gets the job done (for me, anyway). I hope this works for you, too...

Answer by pbjmomi at 4:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my 18mth old would laugh @ me when i try to discipline him ive tried to say 3 times dont touch that or stop please your thats not karters and still he would be naughty and touch whatever it was so then i would remove his hands from the whatever it was as soon as i left he would go back to it then i put him in the corner for a minute and that did absolutly Nothing! So then i watched him usually when he would get naughty would be when he was really tired or hungry so i would redirect him away from the NOs and he would help me with dishes after a snack or we would try to do something different with a toy like with his cars we would make a little ramp just something new to try w/ toys . I hope that helps ;)

• We do a time out 1 minute in his crib (a minute for each year). Then I go in and tell him why he is in time out and will go back if he does it again. And if he does, he goes right back in for another minute. Sometimes it will go on and on for awhile, but he will stop, and it is letting him know I wont give up if he does something wrong, I will punish him.

Answer by BoobiePrize at 6:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I don't know how much help this will be but, every kid is different! Some kids a firm "no" does the job, some kids a spanking, some kids do well with timeouts. You have to find what works for you and your little girl! Just keep trying different things till something clicks. Good luck!

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yes, but remember that discipline is about teaching what is right and wrong, not about punishment. I wrote a journal that may help.

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 2:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Thanks ladies for your answers. I want to try the time-out's or the time-in's, it's just that I'm not sure she'll 'get it'. She's probably smarter than I give her credit for. I'm not sure I want to use her crib as a time out spot because I don't want her to associate that area as a punishment area so when nap time or bed time comes around, it's a bad place for her to sleep. I'll have to get better with re-direction. It's just so hard when you also have a 3 months old who needs attention as well.
    Wish me luck!

Answer by vivaciousv17 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2008