gifts for kids

why do parents go overboard buying material things for their kids on holidays?

shrinkydink68

Asked by shrinkydink68 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't give material gifts unless it's something I made for them. I give them the gift of my time. I have way too many grandkids to be buying stuff they won't use but this way I spend time with them and I build a memory that lasts forever. Did i just sound like a Hallmark card? LOL

Answer by admckenzie at 1:14 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Parents often do this I feel because they feel guilty over working to much or not spending enough quality time with their kids, so they make up for it with gifts.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My kids get spoiled for holidays. They don't get everything they want, but one big gift and a bunch of small ones. They are good kids and I feel they deserve it. They don't get many extras during the rest of the year. I don't feel at all guilty for not spending time with them. I'm with them all the time! We go fishing, to the park, to baseball games, swimming, and vacations. I help them with their homework, on the computer, play games with them, etc. There are 2 time of year when they get pretty much what they ask for... Christmas and their birthday. Other than that, they have to save up and buy it on their own!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I agree with vbruno and I think peer pressure has a lot to do with it. Most parents don't want their kids to be singled out because they don't have certain electronics, clothes, etc...
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 1:06 AM on Jul. 18, 2008