What should I do about the mold?

I bought these three tiny pots that came with seeds and a dirt pellet. I planted them and set them in the window sill. It hasn't been very sunny here the past few days and one of the pots now has 2 little mold spots growing on the dirt. None of the seeds have sprouted yet (it's only been 3 days) and only one of the pots has the mold.

Should I scrape it off, toss it completely or what? I really suck at growing plants anyway so I have no idea what I'm doing to start with.

Thanks for any advice!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 10:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If you've got mold, the area where you are keeping the pots is probably too cold, too damp and there isn't good air circulation. Put the pots under a flourescent lamp if you don't have enough hours of sun right now and that will help. Also, don't water them too much - they should be just damp to the touch, not squishy wet. Keep them warm and make sure you have adequate air circulation around the pots. You can try scraping off the mold you've already got since nothing has sprouted yet, but watch them closely for signs of new mold growth b/c you don't want the new seedlings infected. Good luck!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think I would just scrape it off and then watch carefully to see if it comes back. Mold is very dangerous so if it does come back I'd probably toss them.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Thanks. I'm allergic to mold myself, but I was hoping I could save the plant somehow. :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Hmm maybe stuck between a window and a curtain isn't the best place for them. Thanks, I'll move them somewhere else. The bathroom seems pretty warm. Maybe just until the sun returns!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• no, don't put them in the bathroom- too damp in there unless it's one without a shower being used. i keep plants on my kitchen windowsill, and never have a problem. depending on the plant, you might be overwatering it, or the soil is not great. is there any drainage in the pot? if not, the plant will not need to be watered as often or with as much water.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We don't use the shower in that bathroom so that shouldn't be a problem. I only watered them twice but they are teeny tiny pots, and no drainage. Like starter pots I guess. I'm suspecting the soil as it was only the one pot and they were all right next to each other. We don't have a mold problem in the house either thankfully!

I forgot about the drainage thing. Thanks for the reminder. I hope it doesn't start molding on the bottom now :)

Thanks!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009