How can I get my six year old to move faster in the morning for school

azoreesmom

Asked by azoreesmom at 10:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If your six year old can read a clock, you can make a list of all the things he or she needs to get done and what time they need to be finished. Have him or her check off things as they are done. You can have a treat of some sort if everything is ready by a certain time, or you can give a sticker or something everyday and have a treat at the end of the week. Another option is make them get up 5 - 10 minutes earlier everyday until they can get everything done on time; I do this with my 12 year old when she starts getting in the habit of not being ready on time, and I only let her have the extra 5 - 10 minutes of sleep back after she proves she can get ready before the dealine consistently for a week.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Ooh, I like that advice...I will have to keep this in mind.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My nephew will stand and look at you for like 10 seconds before he even moves to do what you ask. I snap my fingers and start counting backwards from say 15. I'll say go get your backpack...Stare... 15!... 14... Suddenly he moves! Its great.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 10:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Tell her she will have to turn off the television at night a (little earlier) until she can get moving
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 10:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Have every thing ready the night before and wake her up 30 minutes earlier than usual that is what I do with mine and it works for me.baby dust

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Is she getting enough sleep? They need like 10 hours every night.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• streamline your routine by having EVERY possible thing ready the night before. Shower/bathe before bed, lay out clothes, shoes by the door, bookbag packed, breakfast pre-determined, etc. and NO TV, not even on in the background, until everything is finished. Also, they have these "sunrise" alarm clocks that I've heard can really help a kid. They start out dim like a half hour before you have to wake up, and by the time the alarm sounds the room is bright like the sun is up. The goal is to bring you out of a deep sleep gradually so that it's easier to wake up to the alarm. The light by itself is enough to wake some people.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have a six year old and school starts at 8:15 and i have him get up at 6:45am get him ready cook he eats and then i have him get his bookbag and coat and then he watchs some tv and then at 8 we are out the door i guess what i am saying is have a routine and stick with it and the longer u do it they will get the hang of it and it will be no problem.
    armywife00mom02

Answer by armywife00mom02 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Put her to bed earlier...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Go to bed earlier and get up earlier
    CherylLynn

Answer by CherylLynn at 7:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009