Should I be critized...

...for my 8 1/2month old not having a bottle anymore? I thought it was a great accomplishment for my DD to be using a sippy cup. I mean she is getting her formula still, that's what is in the sippy. And she gets it with meals and then throughout the day, usually between 16-18 ozs. The only time she gets juice is when she gets the hiccups because it's the only thing that seems to get rid of them. She is eating 3 meals a day, some of them being table foods, and then usually 2 snacks a day. She's a healthy, happy baby. Weight and height are fine, she is actually above average on height. But I have been taking some crap from other moms about it and not sure why...

lmh3820

Asked by lmh3820 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally, I think it's great. Maybe some moms feel jealous/defensive because they have not been able to do the same thing. Breaking your baby from the bottle can be a really hard thing to do, and some moms are made to feel inferior because they have not been able to easily get rid of the bottle. You see those attacks on here everyday when a mom is asking for advice on breaking the bottle habit with her baby over one year old, and other moms jump all over her for not just throwing them away and toughing it out...or worse yet they jump on her for ever using a bottle in the first place. I don't know why so many moms have to be so competitive about who is doing everything the exact and only right way. You're fine - just try to ignore them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I don't think so...don't listen to anything other than HELPFUL advice if it is warrented. If your daughter is healthy and happy and the pedi doesn't have a problem with it...then don't worry about it. Good job momma!!
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think that is great. If I could get my 8 month old off the bottle now, I would. Just ignore the moms who are giving you crap about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• no not at all i switched my son to a sippy cup at the end of his 9 month. (about 1 week ago) and hes doing fine. however I do give him juice and water through out the day.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Well if you are okay with it then I would say you are fine. I liked being able to give my kids their bottle at night. It was a quiet bonding time for us. I know my DH also enjoyed this time with his kids. If the DR is okay with it and you are okay with it then I would not worry.

For me I did not want my children to grow up to fast so they all had bottles until they were about 2. THey only got them when it was bed time. Through out the day they used sippy cups or regular cups with straws.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No you should not.

It's a little early by most people's standards, to take away the bottle completely. Infants are born with a natural desire to suck...and at that age she probably still has that desire. But if she is happy and you're happy and she's still getting her formula then there is NOTHING wrong with how you did that.

Don't let them get to you mama.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Really, who cares what other moms think.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Go mom! what a great thing you did. The earlier the better. This will make potty training much easier when it's time. As long a s the child is gettign nourishment who cares if it doesn't come from the bottle. Your child will be less likely to have rotten teeth.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 10:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• She is still getting the sucking, if she so desires because the sippy is a soft tip one by Gerber. And I know rock her till she is drowsy instead of being put to sleep with the bottle, so we still get the bonding time at night. And thank you to all you mom's for the words of encouragement and support!!
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The best advice I got and can give is you have to do what works for you and your family!

If other moms agree then it works for them if they don't then I am sure they are doing fine too!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2009