library vs purchase a book

If you wanted to read a book would you go to the library first or would you head for the book store (or online) to buy it?

tazzyt19

Asked by tazzyt19 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Entertainment

• I check with my library's online catalog but it's a small library and not well funded. It seems like the good books have all been checked out and not returned. what kind of ppl steal from a libraty? I then go to www.amazon.com (used books) or www.abebooks.com and see if I can find a bargain. If it's more than one book I'm buying on line I stick with abebooks and buy from the same seller to save on shipping. I then donate my books to the little local library. Isn't it said that states cut funding for libraries quickly before other services?

Answer by admckenzie at 5:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Depends. The library often has a long wait for the new best sellers, and only a couple copies. Half.com is a site I've used in the past.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I go to the library first and always. I even get online and pre reserve a soon to be relesed book, from our library. I almost never re-read a book once i've read it. Why collect more stuff? Our library had 275 copies of the new harry potter when it came out. And the last book was a Laurell K Hamilton book and they had 75 of those. Unless you live in a very small town, just about every library has an internet site and you just reserve it ahead of time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I usually wait until I can pick it up cheap on Amazon. I'm a klutz. I spill coffee on it, drop it in the bathtub, etc. When I'm done, I "set it free" on bookcrossing.com
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Both really. everytime I walk into the store, hubby buys me about 3 or 4 books. I go to the library every 2 to 3 weeks and check out anywhere from 20 to 30 books. The main library in anothe rparish that I go to always has a book sale and he also buys me $20 worth of book which last time was 25 books. I read them and loan them to my friend adn I get back the ones I like and send the rest one to others and the library always get their books back before they are due and I've read all of them.
    gbcouv71

Answer by gbcouv71 at 5:05 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Library. I always go to the library first, check out the book and read it. If it has so much information in it that I absolutely feel I need to own it then I go online and buy it secondhand from a site like half.com or valorebooks.com

I've only bought a couple of books new in my life, and it was during a time when I didn't utilize the library, and I'm pretty happy about that. Honestly many times after reading the books I *do* want to own them and therefore have a nice used book collection, but I only do so because I'm not one of those people who just lets their books sit on a shelf. I've read all the books I own numerous times :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:46 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• www.paperbackswap.com!!! That's where I get all of my books...I trade ones I don't want anymore and get credits to get ones I would like to have.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I go to the library first and see if they have it. I love to get books at half price books.
    Mumjen2

Answer by Mumjen2 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Library -- I don't mind waiting (usually). I only buy books that I love or are sentimental.
    NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 1:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I usually buy the book. I like to re-read them from time to time - it's like visiting an old friend.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2008