Internal U/S every time!?

Okay, so I'm beginning to freak out. I'm 16.5 weeks along with twins and my doc has me going to a perinatologist for my ultrasounds from now on. I went this week and was told that everything is absolutely perfect, yet they need to see me every 2 weeks and will do an internal u/s each time to measure the cervix. I have spoken to 2 friends who have had twins in the past year and they never had to go that often and NEVER had internal ultrasounds. I'm just freaking out because I really think the internals are excessive and unnecessary and have heard stories about them causing labor, cramps, etc. And even though it's twins, I have talked to people who have had 1 and 2 and some never even had an internal!
Anyone have any calming thoughts?

L_Bass

Asked by L_Bass at 10:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah tell them you refuse them if your worried about them. i don't understand why they have to do this?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I personally think it is excessive and I would talk to the doctor about your concerns. I have never had an internal u/s. They can check your cervix with a regular u/s and I would think that an internal u/s every 2 weeks could bring on early labor.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• with my first i didnt need to have one but sense she had tried to come early one me with my second i just had to have one done and will have to go back next week for a second too make sure all is ok with the cervix i don't see anything wrong with having them done my brothers best friend had twins and she had to have them done every two weeks her self and nothing bad happen her babies are now 11 its better safe then sorry in the end doctors wouldn't do unless they felt it had to be done it doesn't hurt just feels weird
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• does not bring on early labor if that was the case then a penis being put in there would do the same thing lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• That does seem excessive unless you have an already shortened cervix or some other problem. I think my perinatologist only did one vaginal u/s to check the cervix very early on. After that they got measurements from the regular u/s. He said there was no need for the internal one unless they suspected a problem, but he also said another doctor that used to work with him did them at every appointment possibly for the extra charge to the patient's insurance. I also only saw that doctor about once a month until around 28 - 30 weeks when I started going more frequently. I was also seeing my OB about once per month during that time. I think if I were you I'd try to discuss this with the doctor and try to find out why he thinks it is necessary. If that doesn't satisfy you, then maybe you could try to get in with one of your friend's doctors. Godd luck.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Obviously I meant "Good Luck"
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Thank you for the responses. Yeah, the other thing is because this office is considered "specialists" I have to pay a copay each time...every 2 weeks for the next 20-25 weeks is a LOT of $$$!
    I'm going to ask my OB tomorrow what the deal is and if I'm not satisfied, I'm finding a new practice.
    L_Bass

Answer by L_Bass at 10:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• A penis is not put excessive pressure on your cervix. U/S last an hour usually... I don't know about your sex life, but it doesn't last an hour for me. There is also the factor of the sound waves and the heat the u/s produce.
    I say research about them and present your information to the doctor so he knows that he can't steam-roll you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I had to receive vaginal ultrasounds due to an incompetent cervix. It is where your cervix thins and dilates too early. I would ask them exactly why they were doing vaginal ultrasounds. If they are watching your cervix then it is better to have a vaginal ultrasound than to have them manually check your cervix. I had to go every week for the u/s until I was 28 weeks. Having a vaginal ultrasound will not bring on early labor.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2009