If you are done having children....

Have you noticed that you treat your "baby" differently than you treated your oldest when they were that same age? Do you find yourself consciously babying your baby, or is it a subconscious thing. Or do you parent them both*all* the same way as you always have?

To answer my own question. I most definitely "baby" my baby. When my oldest was her age(25 months) she was already a big sister. She was already in charge of helping me a lot. She was already more academically advanced because I pushed for her to reach milestones faster than I have with my subsequent children. At the same age I expect more from my oldest than I do from my youngest.

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I definitely "baby" my baby. She's 12m and by the time her two older sisters were that age I was already pregnant with the next one, so I always encouraged them to be "big girls" and more independent. Plus, there's just something about knowing that there's not going to be another baby that makes you want to keep them as cute and cuddly as possible for as long as possible.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Not intentionally, but I have held him back from certain things out of necessity that I didn't with the older two.

ie: He had no desire to learn to dress himself until way after 3 and I didn't encourage it, b/c I'd never get my older kids to school on time. And potty- training has been much more of a challenge, b/c we are always on the go and it's hard to be consistent. He is by far my latest trainer!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• There are other things, too... I'm not going to re-type, though. You can only do 1,000 character answers. Apparently I am too wordy ;-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I baby my baby. He's my only boy, and his father and I are going thru a NASTY divorce. I baby him more because I worry about the effects our divorce is/ will have on him. My girls are big helpers but each of them was suppose to be a boy and when I finally got my boy it was a dream come true. It doesn't mean i love him more, just differently!
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 10:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yep for sure! Like I said in another post, I was all for taking away my daughter's bottle asap and teaching her all kinds of stuff so she's be smart or whatever, and with my son I'm a little more relaxed because he is my last baby. Although he is almost 2.5 and completely potty trained, that's something I didn't want to baby him on LOL!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My "baby" is 5 now, but yes, I do sometimes find myself babying him. I have to force myself not to, b/c I know my oldest sees it and thinks it isn't fair, plus it's really not fair to my 5 yr old. If I had my way, I'd wrap them BOTH up in bubble wrap, though. I'm such an overprotective mommy.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No matter how old my children get - they will always be my babies. So whether I have one or ten....each one will be treated as if they are mama's special little man or princess. That isn't to say that I won't treat them differently according to their unique personalities. But my own mother treated my sister and I very different. She, the baby, got more opportunities and things she wanted. While I was not allowed to even consider asking. I swore I would not do that to my children - that each child will be treated and feel as if they were special and being spoiled as a result of their position in the family. Plus we are going to foster a much older child. So when she does arrive - she will be the "baby" as in the newest member. But not necessarily the youngest child in the home.  I think being aware that this happens is good so that as parents we can make ammends to correct some slights that may occur.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I can't say I do it because he's my last....I think it's more because he's had more issues.

He was born early (36 weeker), I had more problems with his pregnancy (subchorionic hematoma, concern because of the results of a screening so had an amnio, labor early) and when he was 5 weeks (1 week adjusted) he was in the PICU for a week with RSV. He now (he's 2) has a severe articulation language delay and has recently been diagnosed with asthma.

I freak any time he gets a cold....it's all about keeping HIM healthy.

I worry about the other two, obviously! But...well, not as much. I give the same care..it's the inward feelings that seem to be different.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We absolutely baby our baby - he's 3. I remember dressing my oldest in only "grown up" clothes. Cute outfits that looked like something we would wear. I just bought my "baby" boots with big bears on them. I never would have done that for my oldest. I also treat him more like a baby. I can't help it, he's my last.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009