How do i motivate my 10 yr. old son 2 do well n his school work???? i've tried everything.. please help

i've done everything from discipline to tacking a note 2 his shirt 2 wear 2 school which stated 2 ask me if i need help.......

Mickey43008

Asked by Mickey43008 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you talked with his teachers? Try asking them what they notice going on in class. They might have some suggestions. Is it possible that he is bored with the work? My husband was always doing bad in school because he wasn't being challenged enough. Sometimes parents equate less than desierable grades with not understanding or whatever. What about certain subjects that he is doing well in? Maybe he has more of a passion for one subject over another...you can try to use that as incentive. If he's good in art...then maybe tell him if he gets grades up...maybe he can be signed up for an art class outside of school. Or if he is into band or whatever...same thing. Good luck.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Ask him anything and everything about his school day. Is he hungry soon after breakfast? Does he get along with the kids he sits next to? Is he getting picked on? Does he laugh and joke around with friends during class? Does he stare out the window at the playground? Does he finish his work sooner or later than the other kids? Is he bored? Is the subject matter too hard? There's a reason (or many) he's not doing as well as you think he could. I think sometimes it may not necessarily be a lack of motivation, but it'll take some good detective work to find out what's really going on. Once you have some ideas, you might have to work with the teacher to tweak his classroom environment.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 11:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• what does he want to be when he grows up? take him to meet some professionals in his "chosen" field, and explain to him how much work and education is involved! let him spend time with these people, to learn more about it. most adults are happy to teach a child about their field, and encourage doing well in school!
    talk with his teachers about a career day at school, where each student has to either do a presentation about what they want to do when they grow up, or bring in an adult who works in that profession.
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have a 12 yr old son with the same problem...
    Did all the detective work and finally realized that he's just LAZY!!
    I have found that I have to use incentives, we made a list of goals, if he meets them then he gets rewarded. Not with gifts,with things that have been taken away, a movie, sleepovers etc... He has to earn them with showing me he can be more responsible.
    His teacher is also active in it, she keeps him after school if he has homework , she calls me and lets me know he's staying so that she knows he's finished it and if he needs assistance.
    We all have to take an active role. Oh yeah and he hs a planner he has to fill out and show me when he gets home, if he has a test to study for he won't forget etc... I sign it when we're finished studying. Good Luck!
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 9:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• BTW it's possible to commit to all the work, I want him to succeed. I have 2 other children and I will do the same with them if need be. So if you have more than one child and can't do it alone get the school involved, thats what we pay our taxes for.
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 9:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2009