Favoring Children

Do you or your SO favor a child in your family? Do the other siblings notice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I do notice some favoring. He doesn't mean to...and I can somewhat understand. My oldest isn't his biologically...and our daughter together is his first. I don't agree with it...but that is because they are both my girls and I have a hard time remembering that the baby is his first. Alexia doesn't notice it with him....but she does with his family. I try to pull her aside and do things with her when we are all together....
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think it's natural - we favor DS because he is still little and cute and cuddly and we favor DD because she is old enough to have a real conversation with and she likes to go around with adults. For us, it's situational. Early morning time I want DS to snuggle with, after school I want the updates on 1st grade from DD. Not sure if it evens out - does it ever?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think we all do on some level. Like Winsey said, it's situational too. I love that my youngest is still small enough for me to hold, and likes to be held and kissed and she's still so sweet and she's my last baby but my oldest is special too because of all of the firsts and learning and the newness and awe of it all. I have moments when I feel closer to one than the other but I love them both so much but yea, they're different people with different personalities and different ages so we do treat them different mainly due to age reasons.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Honestly, my girls and I favor my son. We all squeeze, kiss and hug him, but it is mutual between all of us. He is my only son, and my last child, and he is thier only Brother. So, it is not a big deal, Actually, I hug squeeze and kiss all my babies!! While I can the older they get the less they want to snuggle, so I get all my snuggles in while they are young.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My daughter is favored and yes, my husband knows it. I was a single mom for 7 years, so naturally I am closer to her than anyone else.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My SO nor myself do not favor any children. BUT my 77 year old mother still and always did favor my oldest sister (46 years old) and one of my brothers. Some will say no big deal favoring a child and I say BS to that. She still favors them and it has always hurt me. She says it is because they are the weakest..but I believe favoring a child only makes them weaker.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have had a tendency in the past to favor my 3rd child. Hes so laid back and easy going and easy to love. I think it was natural when he was a baby, but hes still very easy to parent. Yes, I think my other children do notice but I make sure they each know that I don't love him more because thats the truth. My husband tends to act like he favors the boys but I know its not about love either. Its because he can relate to them. Our girls are older and I think he doesn't know what to do with all the girl stuff and hormones. ITs scary to him.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I favor my sister's oldest child over my other nieces and nephews. I love them all but he is so adorable and I love him so much. He is a little smart ass right now but I still love him:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009