what are good calorie-rich foods for my preteen? he is dangerously underweight as a result of taking adderall daily.

My 13 year old son has ADD-inattentive type and is dangerously underweight. What are healthy calorie-rich foods I can serve him to increase his weight?

stacylynn622

Asked by stacylynn622 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Mac & Cheese with lots of butter would be my first thought.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Mac and Cheese will just make him crash...anything with sugar you should stay away from for that reason. Give him extra protein, either in a shake, smoothie or just by taking foods he likes and adding pure whey protein to them. Chances are he won't know the difference.

But I can tell you, Adderall is really bad for kids that young. I know some of them do truly need medication but there are new studies that show it can have a serious, negative affect on their developing hearts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Protein, pastas, supplement shakes, low sugar granola bars, whole grain breads, lunchmeats, real cheese, whole milk, beans.... I don't know, I'm not a nutritionist, but if he has a favorite SOMETHING that he'll scarf down, let him eat it to his heart's content and work his nutrition in around it. If Chef-Boyardee in a can is a real please-er, stock up. Give a daily multi-vitamin recommended by his pediatrician. "Sneak" nutrition into home made foods-there's a great recipe book for this kind of thing. Also, make sure that he's eating well enough at school. The might have to find a way to accommodate him to be able to eat something between breakfast and lunch, then again before the end of the school day. Maybe "grazing" between meals will help.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have the same problem with my son but he's on HGH injections. Can I steal your answers?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know that when my son was underweight they told me to give him peanut butter and ice cream. The DR said that he could eat the things I should not eat if I was on a diet.

We also used a lot of carbs like pasta and Ensure drinks.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• peanut butter, eggs, pizza
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 1:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would think fatty proteins are you healthiest best bet. Like fish and in his case beer battered deep fried fish probably wouldnt hurt. Portein is good bulker upper but it will bulk up muscle AND keep his blood sugars more stable through the day which will also help with add thing. Pizza is also a good option BUT I wouldnt just start feeding him crap to get him to gain weight because then it will just be fat which may cause more harm in the long run. cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• How about a pepperoni pizza with lots of veggies. Its a complex carb so he wont crash later. Peanut butter is also a nice healthy fat. Youc ould make him hamburgers that are like 70/30 grade meat and throw a big slab of real cheese on top with some nice rich bbq or ranch sauce or something. Cheese on veggies, cheese on almost everyting will definitely bulk up his calorie and fat intake. Give those a shot. OH and a milkshake or two a day probably wont hurt either if you use real ice cream and milk maybe with some peanut butter and bananas?
    humaniterian87

• milkshakes, eggs, red meat, think: anything you would avoid on a diet..............maybe cut the dose of aderall
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Thanks to you all for your suggestions! We will definitely try it all---but the hard part will be keeping me away from it all!!! Yummmm!
    stacylynn622

Answer by stacylynn622 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009