Tax Issue for Military Family...Help!

My husband is Marine Corps stationed in NC. He is a GA resident and I am an NC resident. For federal we filed jointly. I did not work or have any income this year. I know we have to file a GA return because he is a resident there and paid state income taxes to them, but do we have to file an NC return? When I use Turbo tax, it is telling us we owe NC money, but federal law prohibits two states from taxing military income.

Danielle720

Asked by Danielle720 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you did not pay NC state taxes then you do not owe them.
    When we did taxes while I was not working - we were stationed in VA and his residence is in ME - he filed ME state taxes, but not VA state taxes.
    When we obtained VA state licenses and registrations for our vehicles we had to provide the latest copy of his LES so we didn't have to pay personal property taxes on the vehicles, but his state of residence is still ME even though he has a VA state license.
    It's weird, but as long as the state of ME is listed on his LES then that is where he has to file taxes. Not in VA.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My husband is in the Coast Guard and I am a SAHM. We are stationed in NJ and originally from IL we do not pay state taxes. You should really ask a tax professional because I really didn't think military active duty paid state taxes.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 11:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• GA makes you pay state taxes . It varies from state to state. Not sure about the NC issue. I would think you can call base and ask.
    Stinaleigh

Answer by Stinaleigh at 11:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2009