Ticks in the house! Help! What spray to use??

Okay, we moved into a rental house and we notice that there are ticks (the little brown-red, flat ones). We find them all over; one on the couch on Tuesday, one crawling on a wall on Monday, one on the desk today. And of course they are getting on our dog. It's not like we see a bunch in one day.... but we know we have them.... What's the best thing to use in the house to get rid of them? Also we see those black and red ants (the big ones) much the same way... just less often. I hate renting.

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 11:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pets

• I believe it is within your rights as a tenant to have the bug problem taken care of by the landlord. It can be tough tho, I once rented, offered to split the monthly treatment with the landlord...Most Pest Control companies charge about $25.00 monthly to maintain. So for the price of what it would cost you to buy something you could split it with landlord, and have it professionaly done. Ticks are usually not the type of bug that you would find in your home without a source bringing them in (dog, cat) If you have a pet you may want to consider Frontline to keep the ticks at bay.
    dhoppe

Answer by dhoppe at 9:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• OMG!! I would RUN to the store and get some bomb or spray or traps or something. In NH there are ticks in the woods that my husband sometimes brings home after hunting. They are gross little things. They will embed their heads into your skin and suck your blood out until they are like the size of a sunflower seed. My neice had one in her hair for 2 days before anyone noticed it and it had to be pryed out with tweezers, it was hard as a rock and like a corn kernel with little leggs that were moving all around. Make sure you check all your warm parts often. they like to hide in hair, armpits, and pubic areas. Good luck!
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Good thing I'm not French then huh? Seriously what is the best thing to use to get rid of them? I can go and get a whole box of this and that but I don't want to waist the kind of money that stuff costs. I want to know what works!!??
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I personally would get out of there ASAP before one of them got on me or anyone else in my family, call my landlord, and tell them to get some pest control out here and bomb the place. =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• That's great Sandra..... if I lived in a perfect world and had lots of money. (No sarcasm intended at all). I live like everyone else.... and unfortunately I have a shitty landlord, which is why we hate renting- we haven't had to rent since the mid-90s. We had to take what house we could find when we moved here, because there is a SERIOUS shortage of rental homes in the town we live in. But one thing you said hits home.... even though my landlord will not have the house sprayed doesn't mean we can't. And that's probably best anyhow....
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:59 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• they have furniture spray at wal mart thats cheap and at hardware stores they have bombs for 10 dollars that cover 1 story. also my cousin had a bug problem and got this spray at home depot and sprayed around her whole house (it was 14 dollars) and hasnt had the problem since, but she sprayed outside the house not in
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Whatever you do DON'T use any HARTZ products on your pet! I used a flea and tick collar on my dog and within 2 days she was lethargic and on the verge of death when I took the collar off and bathed her she showed improvement within minutes. There is a site Hartzvictoms.org if you want to learn more
    CherylLynn

Answer by CherylLynn at 6:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009