Peanut butter & Peanut oil.

My daughter is 13 months old. Everyone keeps telling me hold off on peanut butter til she is atleast 2 because of allergies. She has had foods cooked in peanut oil though, and had absolutely no reaction. So is peanut oil the same as peanut butter allergy wise? And when can I start giving her PB&J!?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was 4 when he had a major allergic reaction in Day care. I rushed him to the hospital and they had to put oxygen on him. Is it the same I am not sure, and good question, but I avoid anything that has the word peanut on it. Let me remind: My son did have peanuts before it is just that each reaction gets worst and worst. Now we have plenty of epi pens because the next time (which I hope there is no next time) He most definitly will need the epi pen and ambulance. :( I completely believe under 2 is too young to introduce him to peanut butter, not only for allergic reactions, because they can choke on it. Ask you peditrician.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It would be the same but there would be a lot less oil that there would be peanut butter in a sandwich so she could still have a reaction to it if she had more of it.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I want to add, my doctor told me 3 was the new recommendation for peanuts
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Just because she didn't have a reaction to peanut oil doesn't mean she won't have a reaction to peanuts.

Peanut oil

-refined peanut oil (heat processed) is not allergenic (in other words, it will not cause an allergic reaction in the peanut-allergic individual). Of 10 peanut-allergic patients challenged with peanut oil, none reacted to the protein-free oils. Subsequent reports have indicated that oils contaminated with peanut protein may indeed produce significant allergic reactions in peanut-sensitive individuals. Cold-pressed oils are more likely to contain peanut proteins than hot-pressed oils. (1997) 15

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• -Hourihane and co-workers evaluated two grades of peanut oil for a large group of subjects with proven allergy to peanuts, in a double-blind, crossover food challenge with crude peanut oil and refined peanut oil. None of the 60 subjects reacted to the refined oil; six (10%) reacted to the crude oil. They concluded that crude peanut oil should continue to be avoided. Refined peanut oil did not pose a risk to any of the subjects. Change in labeling to distinguish the two grades are recommended 18

http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm#oil

desert_diva

• my doctor said that there are no diet restrictions after a year of age. I've heard that you should wait until the later toddler years to introduce peanuts and peanut butter. I made a judgement call (no one in my family has ever had food allergies) and carefully tried out the peanut butter, and my 15 month old is just fine with it. I won't let my guard down for another year though, because what the other mom said was right: sometimes it takes a few exposures to produce a noticeable allergic reaction. I think the research on this is sketchy and it's more about your comfort level at this point.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 11:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Kids CAN be allergic to peanut oil! I personally know two who cannot eat anything with peanuts or cooked in peanut oil!!

My boys have been eating peanut butter since around a year old.

Watch her....the poster who mentioned reactions getting worse each time is right. If you give it and she develops hives, stop giving it and talk to your doctor about it.

If there are family food allergies, I would hold off a bit longer....But if there are no food allergies in the immediate family....either go for it or check with your pediatrician and get his opinion.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009