What percentage of stuff you buy is generic?

Groceries, cleaners, hygiene products?

I would say at least 50% of what I buy is generic...the rest is pretty much only name brand if I got it on sale or had a coupon.

What wont you buy generic? I think mine has to be razor blades.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most everything we buy is generic. I think most of the time its just as good as name brand. I only like cains mayo..LOL. Usually paper towels I have to buy brawny because the generic brands are WAY cheaper and you have to use way more to clean a mess. Anything else is generic.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 3:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• yeah me too about 50 pecent lolz
    mommiediap

Answer by mommiediap at 11:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• we buy 85% is generic. we shop at aldis or meijer. We won't buy meat from Aldi's. Um i have toothpaste crest whitning mint or something that i have to use. i refuse to use aynthing else unless were out and thats all we have. but mostly everything we buy is generic.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• about 25 percent I would say I buy cheep snacks for kids most times
    sunkist9

Answer by sunkist9 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would say about 75% of what we buy is generic. Some things like razor blades for me and hubby, there are some foods that just really don't taste the same(but not many)- my diet coke (I can't stand the imitation "cola" yucko)...other than that I am cheap!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I don't really know the exact percentage, but I try to pretty much always buy generic. The only thing I won't buy generic is chocolate syrup. I buy the Nesquik, b/c that's just the one we all really like. Hershey's I feel leaves an aftertaste, and the generics always seem to be so thin that I feel like I have to use half the bottle. Oh, and toilet paper, I buy Angel Soft. Other than that, I try to always get generic, unless they are sold out and I really need that particular item.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i LOVE generic! i buy most everything generic. if its medicine or tolietries i always check the back to make sure it has the same level of active ingredients as the name brand...and it almost always does!

but the name brand things i will always buy no matter the cost (but i usually have coupons) are Hidden Valley Ranch, Kraft Mac & Cheese, Jif PB, Cottonelle/Quiltern Northern TP & Coca-Cola/Pepsi. IMO these generics aren't good enough to be worth the lower price.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yes!! TP!! No skimping on the TP! One time my husband was all proud (it was really cute too- he came home beaming) because he got a really good deal on TP (generic). Well, needless to say after a few trips to the bathroom, it all got thrown out because it felt like we were wiping with sand paper!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• mine is only about 5% generic stuff.
    I usually dont like generic food, although there are a few things that i cant really tell a difference. I dont buy generic cleaning supplies just because i dont like the smell of generic things.
    Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 11:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I rarely buy generic. The store brand and other generic stuff at Ralph's is usually only a few cents different. Usually I can get the name brand stuff for less because I have a coupon or they have a sale going on. I will say I would never use generic cleaners, soaps or toothpaste. They tend to be watered down so you have to use more and it costs more.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2009