how do i get my 10 year old to wear his glasses?

he needs to wear glasses, found out yesterday- no surprise to me. He swears he sees fine, he blames the eye dr. for making him close one eye for the test! Now he's afraid he'll look like a geek. I'm not into bribery, but I promised him if he was responsble w/ his glasses he could have contacts next exam. still no deal.....

synsirlyurs

Asked by synsirlyurs at 11:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just put your foot down. Tell him he needs glasses, and he will wear them. Inform his teacher that he needs to wear them at school, so that the teacher can make sure he wears them too. I have a 7 yr old & a 5 yr old that both wear glasses, and they both do it no problem, b/c I never made it optional. You're his mom and you have to do what's best, even if he doesn't like it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Does he love his style of glasses? Did he get to pick them out and feel really good about how he looks in them? I had to wear glasses too, but my selection of styles was so terrible that I couldn't find anything that made me feel "un-geeky". I never did wear them and got contacts years later. Maybe you two could get online and look at pictures of famous people in glasses to boost his self-confidence? Or maybe you can get a trial pair or two of contacts and just give those a try first. After all, it's easier to lose/break a pair of glasses than it is to lose a contact in the middle of the day. You might have to help him with a nightly routine for a while to help care for the contacts, or you could just get daily disposables. Will it really hurt to go ahead and have contacts if the glasses are such a hit on his self-esteem?
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 11:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• make them "cool" to wear. get him some non-geek frames for his glasses, and have him meet people who wear glasses. is he into girls yet? bribe a "hot" girl (to him) to tell him he looks good in glasses. make it a high school girl so he doesn't think he has a chance, but still some one he would be interested in. who are people he admires? point out how many of them wear glasses

clark kent wears glasses, peter parker wears glasses, find some other super heros whose secret identy wears glasses (btw, peter parker is spiderman, jic you didn't already know that)
    stan lee (the creator of spiderman, x-men and others like that) wears glasses
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I had to wear glasses starting in 4th grade. I refused to wear them, it absolutely killed me. I would take them off at school and suffer through the day because I couldn't see.

Eventually I sucked it up and realized that I absolutely had to wear them or else my eyes would get worse. I started wearing them and I wore them until I was 14. Then I got contacts.

Let him be blind for awhile. He'll eventually start wearing them because he'll realize he has to.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Show they them that other 10 year olds wear glass and like it, you can check out my page and see the my wears hers all the time. But she knows if she did not she would have to deal with me. Really she like it, I let her pick the style , the color she likes and I let her talk to the sales person that was helping us pick them with her, maybe you should let them be in charge, what i mean i sat back while she got her eye exams, I let her talk to the eye doctor, and the sale person, I made her feel like she was going to buy the glasses. She really like it. The worst part was making her wait to get the glasses but once they came in, i made sure she came with me, and again I sat back and let her control the situation, with the sales person.
    Blesstravelmom

Answer by Blesstravelmom at 7:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If it isn't harming his eyes to not wear them, then let him not wear them. When his eyes get bad enough he'll be grateful for them.

Answer by Bmat at 5:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009