MY daughter is 3yrs we are having a hard time taking her pacifier away,her dentist said that we need to take it away from her we have tried everything and nothing seems to work . The other reason that is doesn't work is that we have a 1yrs old that also has a paci what should I do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our 2 year old was extremely attached to hers. She would try to talk around it and everything. Since we couldn't get her to just go cold turkey without tears we decided to try and snip the very tip off. We gave it to her and I got the hardest laugh of my life when she tried it out, then immediately took it out and said "It boke". We told her yep but that's all that we had so if she wanted it she had to make do.

She sucked on it anyways. We continued to cut off more everyday until she was barely able to hold the dang nipple in her mouth with her teeth. Stubborn little girl. Finally she got fed up and threw it away and hasn't asked for once since. This was 4 years ago.

It was a perfect solution for us.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• When we got ride of my sons we had the binki fairy come. We went around the house and collect all the ones we could find. One night we put them under his pillow and then she came. The next morning he was so excited to see the special gift he got that if he found one around the house he would run and put it under his pillow.

We also told him that if the binki fairy was going to come that meant he was getting older and did not need one, like his little brother did. My children are 2 years apart.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The fairy thing sounds cool..I would take them from both children. And yeah, the paci will mess up their teeth. I would rather her scream than see her teeth sticking out.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We told our son (at age 2 1/2 ) that he could have his pacifier as much as he wanted... but he had to stay on his bed with it. just the paci, no books or other toys. He could use it all day if he wanted, but if he wanted to play or come eat lunch etc, he had to leave it in his bed. The first day he spent almost all day in bed! LOL!! With in a week, he had pretty much decided it wasn't worth stayin in bed all the time and was paci free by the weeks end Good luck!
    12crazykids

Answer by 12crazykids at 12:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Personally, I'd just take it and be done with it. A few days of her being upset versus a few weeks of weaning and dragging the process out......

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I just barely took my 2 and a half year olds "Binky" away. She was so terrible with them that when her twin sister and brother were born she would steal them, they decided not to take to the binky. (thank god!) I got fed up with trying to understand her talking around the stupid thing. So one day i just told her, " you are a big girl, and big girls don't take binkys." No weening her off it or anything. She cried most of the day. Now I don't even hear the word come out of her mouth, and she talks and acts so much better without it. I was scared of what her reaction would be... but it was so worth it!!
    3vsmom

Answer by 3vsmom at 1:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My sister did a Binky-Bye-Bye day. They bought a bunch of the cheap helium balloons and tied the binkies to them. Then they had a big celebration and let all the balloons go. Her little girl waved to them and said "Bye, Bye" to her binkies.
    ***Not good for the environment, but sometimes you just gotta do what will work!***
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My DS could take or leave one, my oldest DD never did and my youngest DD was totally attached to hers. And I know it might be a little rough with a 1 yr. old who uses one, but it really is best to get them off them. We used the "out of sight, out of mind" approach at home, grandma's, baby sitter, etc. so they didn't get mixed signals (if that makes sense lol).

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• take both pacifiers away from both children. They become entirely too dependent on this device. If your youngest absolutley must suck...teach him or her to suck his or her thumb. Its a self-soothing mechanism, that is usually easier to stop than dealing with a pacifier.
    Romansmami0412

Answer by Romansmami0412 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My daughter's dentist told us the same thing when she was two. We went totally cold turkey, because we lost the only pacifier that we had. We had gotten my daughter to where she was only using it at nighit and at nap time. One night the paci was lost and we didn't have any place to get a new one. She fussed for a little while and I sat on the floor beside her bed, but she went to sleep. The next day I decided not to get a new one and that was the end of it all.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009