When should baby sleep in her own room?

I have a pack n play that has the vibrations and the music and lights and it has helped my new baby (she is 8 wks now) go to sleep. I have a nursery set up for her and have not used it yet. It is so much easier to go to the end of the bed and get her when she wakes during the night, plus I sleep better knowing I will hear her when she wakes up. My husband is worried that we will have problems with her if we don't start putting her in her room to sleep at night. What do you all think is best?

cmuessig

Asked by cmuessig at 11:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would do whatever you feel most comfortable doing. During this stage it is always best to be close to your baby for bonding needs. If you breastfeed I would suggest keeping the baby in your room until you start to ween her from the breast. However, if this is not the case and you are bottle feeding the baby it is entirely up to you and your husband. I don't feel that it would be a problem either way you decide.
    Halfmoonwife

Answer by Halfmoonwife at 11:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• When you as a mother is ready to put her in her own room. Just an example, it was just my son and me when he was a baby and he slept in my bed with me. When he was a year old I put him in his own bed in his own room and he did just fine at first. But after staying with my parents for a month when I moved, he got clingy and wanted to sleep in my room agian with me. He is two noe, and in his own room. He is just fine now. Your a new mom, what ever is easier on you!! Thats my opinion. I hope it helps.
    belamommy

Answer by belamommy at 11:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Maybe put her in her bed for naps through the day. She will be used to her bed when YOU are ready for her to sleep there at night. As for not hearing her, use a baby monitor. Its like being in the room with her... you can even get them with video. I've never slept through any of my babies crying.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You can move her whenever you want to, as long as you still respond quickly to her cries. It's not necessary that a baby sleep in or near your bed, only that they be tended to quickly in the first 6 months or so of life. After that you can decide if you want to start taking your time responding to them at night.

We found it worked best to leave our son in his own room, and although we responded promptly, we fed him quietly in the dark and did not give him reason to stay awake any longer than necessary. He learned that night time was boring. His first night home he seemed bothered by us moving around the room which is how he ended up in the nursery to begin with.
    momxfour

Answer by momxfour at 12:15 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• it depends when you want them to but DEFINETLY when they can sleep through most of the night. It's NOT fun if you have to get up every hour or so into another room to tend to them
    MommieAndi

Answer by MommieAndi at 4:14 AM on Jul. 18, 2008