Froze when holding friends newborn.

This sounds crazy, but I have not been around a newborn in about 10 years when my niece was born. I am due in about 7 weeks. My friend has a 3 week old and came to visit yesterday. She put her son in my lap and said here feed him. I froze and was so uncomfortable. I don't know if it was because I haven't help a newborn in a long time or if it was because I was scared to break him. I am so worried that when my little on gets here I am going to do the same thing. Anyone else been faced with this before? Or will it be different when it is my own. Thank you so much for your help ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• dont worry it'll come natural to you once your baby comes. i was scared to ive never in my life held a baby before my son along but once they put him in my arms it seemed so natural and i just knew what i had to do.
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I'm due in 8 weeks and I just recently held my friend's newborn, probably the first time I"ve ever held a baby that small. My sister has two kids, but I lived across the country when they were first born, so I never held them when they were that little nor have I ever changed a diaper! Seriously, not one! Oddly enough, this doesn't worry me. I can't imagine it's that hard and I'm really not psyched about the idea of changing some other kid's diaper anyway. It's sorta how I feel about my dog. I'm perfectly fine with cleaning her, bathing her, and picking up her poo but I'd never want to do it for a stranger's dog!
    Anonymous

• I'm the same way. Every time I hold a baby, I'm like a scared statue. I think when my baby comes in March, it'll be different. If I drop him or he gets hurt, it'll be my own fault. I know that is horrible sounding. I think it just comes naturally when it is your own child.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Just wait. You are getting ready to bring home the love of your life. You'll do fine.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I was scared before I had my son that I would be scared to change him or even hold him, but when he was born it just came natural to me and i didn't have any of those fears once he was in my arms. Even after I had him my friend had a baby and i still didn't feel comfertable holding hers too much. Don't worry about it much, I'm sure it will come to you when she is here, you won't even want to put her/him down. lol.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yes~ it will be different with your own.
    As you give birth and meet your child, you will slowly---gradually, little-by-little, learn how to care for him/her. It's a slow process, it happens naturally.

When someone drops their new baby in your lap you have not gone through the birth and holding the freshly birthed baby, the many hours of becoming accustomed. It is very different to hold someone else's baby.

But in 2 months from now, when you gold someone else's baby it might be a lot easier. ;-) You'll be fully in practice!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2009