34 wks. need advice (kinda long)

Last week I was about a cm dialated and still thick. on tues i went to my appt. and i was 2 cm and 80% effaced. then yesterday i felt like i was going to start my period all day long. cramping bad back ache, increase in discharge. I feel the same way so far today but also i have severe pressure in my pelvic region when i stand up or walk around i was just wondering if it could be because of my dr. checking me on tues or what. Im not dehydrated, I have increased my fluids due to a trip to L&D last week when i was having contractions and i just ended up being dehydrated. Could i be progressing in labor or is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I had strong menstrual like cramps at 33 1/2 weeks, I went into L&D, and I was in pre-term labor (not Braxton hicks like a lot of women on here will tell you). Since it is still continuing today, I would call your doctor and go get checked. He will probably send you back to L&D so they can hook you up and see if the contractions are progressing at all.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think you should go get checked again. You MIGHT be progressing. I cant nor can anyone but a dr tell you if you are but I can tell you you NEED to be seen.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:56 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree with Carolyn if they were braxton hicks they wouldn't keep on they would go for awhile and then quit. SO I would go to the dr or to l&d. Just to be sure, better safe than to have a baby to early. He/she's still got a few more weeks of cooking to do.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I had the same thing happen this week. Monday I went into doc for routine check up. I found out I was 1 cm dilated an 50% effaced. The doc hooked me up to the monitor and I was having contraction, which I didn't even know. Tuesday went back to be monitored and checked again. I was 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced. I am only 33 weeks. I have been feeling cramping, discharge, and pelvic pressure. My doc said that unless the pain was unbearable not to worry which I find odd. Doc also said because they checked me several different times in two days that I would have a lot of pressure and discomfort. I had to have the steroid shot for the babies lungs and the said I will be delivering within 3 weeks and they will not stop it.

I would call your doc just to ask what their opinion is. Good luck
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I say go get checked, cuz I think you are progressing and thats why you are having pelvic pressure and contractions that don't seem to go away. That is a sign of early labor. Better safe than sorry. If they say everything is okay then you just go back home : ) .. good luck!
    my4kids123

Answer by my4kids123 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• These are definitely signs of your body getting ready to have this baby. But you will probably be sent home if you are not having contractions at least 10 minutes apart for one hour, or if you are not leaking fluids. Being dilated is perfectly normal. Ive had patients 3 cm 100% effaced for 4 weeks or more. Also considering you are only 34 weeks along i would suggest a lot of rest, and try not to be so worried. You don't want to have this baby for at least another 3 weeks. This is a crucial time for lung development. So i wish you good luck, and hang in there.

CNM518

Answer by CNM518 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009