kids close in age or far apart?

is it better to have your children close in age or far apart?

tazzyt19

Asked by tazzyt19 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• I prefer them close. My first three are each a year apart (15 months between #1 and #2 and 13 months between #2 and #3). It was rough the first months getting two toddlers adjusted to a newborn but they always had each other to play with when I was busy with their baby sister. That was the best part: built in playgroup, lol. Logistics can be one of the biggest issues...trying to get two or three or more small children to do anything is difficult. I refused to go anywhere alone with them in the car because it was too crazy getting them all in and out of their carseats.
    Our youngest is 3 1/2 years younger then #3 and I hated it. I never had any issues adjusting to a new baby before but with the last I couldn't get into "baby mode" with the bottles and diapers and diaper bag and stroller. It was rough. The only plus was the older kids could help if I needed but they were too busy making my life crazy at the time (they were 3, 4 and almost 6 when the baby was born).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Having kids close in age is better. I have 7 kids and they're all at least 1 to 2 years apart. They get along great. They have sibling conflicts, but what sibling doesn't. It was challenging for me, but it was well worth it seeing them together.
    lupe7

Answer by lupe7 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• when my second child is born my kids will be 18 months apart and I planned it just that way, I am not sure if we are done having kids though hubby said yes at first and now he is having 2nd thoughts
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 12:11 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I had all 3 of mine back to back..they will soon be 23 24 and 25. Even though they are young adults now they are still just as close as they were when they were young.
    whisperz_2004

Answer by whisperz_2004 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My 4 were all born in two years. the ages are 4, 3,3, and 2. I wouldn't have it any other way. It was hectic at first, but I love it. They always have someone to play with.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 8:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I have three, they're 10,3 and 2. Starting over was hard, and having two kids in diapers, two toddlers, and two kids in daycare at the same time was rough. But it's great to see them interact with eachother, and nice to know they'll be so close. But I also love watching my oldest help with the little ones and teach them things. I like watching the way they look up to her. I don't think it's fair to say one is better than the other. It depends on your situation, can you afford it? You have to have an unbelievable amount of patience, my two went through a stage where all they did was fight... except when they were doing something they weren't suppose to be doing. Remember, being able to afford it goes beyond daycare, diapers and formula. They'll be sports and other activities, college, cars, and so much more.
    P0ET1CMAM1

Answer by P0ET1CMAM1 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I wanted mine 10 months apart but my ex husband had testicular cancer and became sterile. My now husband and I have a 2 year old boy so my daughter and son are 5 weeks shy of being 5 years apart and I wouldnt have it any other way. My daughter is like having another me around. She is such a big help and always keeps an eye on him and loves every bit of him. I couldnt be more blessed. But every family is different... my brother and I are 2 years apart and my mom loved it.... a friend of mine had 3 all 1 year apart and said it was the best. Take Care
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 8:58 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My bio children are 3 months shy of 4 years apart. That worked well for me esp. since my oldest has severe ADHD. The grandkids we have adopted are 14 months apart and somedays,esp. when we first brought them hom, it was kicking this Grandmas butt. They are 4 and 5 now and it is a little better. PPL ask us all the time if they are twins..might as well have been.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:21 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Thru God's will my children are 5 years apart. Every time I lost a little angel I couldn't understand why! It is the sweetest thing to see the way my son dotes on our little girl. She is "his sister". When she starts school he will be old enough to babysit a little. The only problem is she is an almost only child while he is off to school and sports. The rules keep changing (no juice, purified water, ect).
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I have 2 kids and one is almost 5 and the other is 27 mos. I put 2 yrs and 7 mos. between my two. My oldest is the girl and my youungest is a boy. My girl mommies the youngest. She looks out after him.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2008