Baby Gates

Can you recommend your baby gates? I have seen the tension gates and gates that screw into the wall. I want something secure. I need a gate for the top of my stairs. I also need a gate for the bottom of my stairs. That is the tough one since the gate would have to essentially attach to the spindles of the handrail. Thanks!

amd1020

Asked by amd1020 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gates at the top of the stairs MUST screw into the wall. You can not use tension mount gates here. Just a little pressure from an upset toddler and the mounts could slide, the gate tip, and the toddler tumble down the stairs.

Bottom of the stairs, you can use either. I used the tension mount gate by The First Years.
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Hands-Free-Gate/dp/B000058CC7/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1232039886&sr=8-1
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have the First Years Hands Free Gate at the top of my stairs. It is very secure and I really like it because it has a foot petal (which is too hard for a baby/toddler to push but an adult can push it with their foot) and it doesn't require drilling. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266795 On a related note - you might want to check the space between your railings if you have a balcony upstairs. Mine were clearly built badly and the space between some of them is large enough for my child to fit through. I had to get a banister guard for it.

I've also been trying to figure out what I want to do with the bottom of my stairs. They open up at the bottom so the only place to put a gate would be three stairs up.

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I didn't like the tension ones because after a while they don't work as well. And, for some of my doorways, none of the notches would quite fit just right. Either there wasn't enough tension, or there was too much.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2009