Fluid in Ears

Ihave a question my sonhad his tonsils out in september and just about two weeks ago I took him to the doctor and she said that he had fluid in his ears and I notice yesterday that he had some leakage in his ears. The question is if this problem can't be solved with medicine will they have to put tubes in his ears? and what exactly are tubes put in for

KaelensMommy06

Asked by KaelensMommy06 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It really depends on how long the fluid is in his ears, if it's affecting his hearing and probably most importantly your doctors beliefs. Both of my older children have had three sets of tubes for chronic ear infections. It's not a permanent fix and I don't know if I would ever do it again after my DD last experience. Feel free to PM me and I'll explain more.
    Mommyx308

Answer by Mommyx308 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If antibiotics and shots won't clear it up then yes they will probably put tubes in his ears. If he is having leakage then it is a good sign that the fluid is coming out. Tubes are put in when the fluid does not drain out of the middle ear, and for reoccurent ear infections. My son has had tubes 3 times, and as long as they stayed in, he never had ear infections. Good luck....
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My son was having a hard time hearing took him to an ENT doctor and they told me it was fluid i didnt want to put the tubes in his ear b/c that was the only option they gave me so i took him to my personla chiropractor and 2 months later he got better minimal fluid and after 5 months no more fluid and extemely less ear infections
    L0udMommy

Answer by L0udMommy at 12:06 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It requires day surgery!tubes are put in to drain the fluid from the ear.my daughter might be needing them :(
    welltesterchick

Answer by welltesterchick at 9:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2009