Does anyone have any good ideas of how to teach colors to my child besides flash cards?

andrea86160

Asked by andrea86160 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Teach all day long. Use different colored blocks. Or anything...point to something and say the color, or point to something and ask your kid what the color is...Children that are not of school age do not need to be sat down and taught things...they learn through playing.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We just used everyday objects around the house. Blocks, toy cars, clothing, even food. I just kept telling them over and over again green block, blue car, red shirt, orange carrots...etc. All 3 of my kids knew all of their colors by their second bdays by using this method.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 12:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Get rid of the flash cards.

Label, label, label.

When you're reading a book...."Look at the picture! He's playing with an ORANGE ball."

When you're playing...."Put the BLUE car over here."

When you're eating...."Eat your GREEN peas."

Do the same with numbers, shapes and letters.....label. They learn through play and normal daily life.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• When they're coloring, name the color of the crayon... point out what colors they are wearing... what color their food is, toys, etc.

Just make it a part of everyday conversation. They'll get it =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Get different colored construction paper and lay the papers down on the floor. When the child jumps on the paper they have to say the color. If they get it right they move on to the next, if not they start over. This works well for very active children. Once they make it through you can decide on a prize.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Get the game Candyland, my girls used to play that all the time and thats how they learned their colors.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My daughter likes the game, I see something............... and then name a color. Then you have to take turns guessing what object it is. Well, i'm sure you know the game. Anyways, she loves playing it, and it's a good way to learn.
    Stephanie15

Answer by Stephanie15 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Have color themed days at home. ...

*have your child pick out an outfit that contains the color of the day
    *play with toys that are color for the day
    *eat that colored food if you can
    *go on a color scavenger hunt
    *color a picture using only the desired color

Hope that helps you and your little one. Good luck!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• M&Ms! that's what I did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2009