For SAHM's of one year olds

What do you do with your one year old all day?
Do you have a routine?
If yes, what does your routine include?
Do you let your one year old play by himself at all during the day?
If so, how often and for how long at a time?
What kinds of activities do you do with your one year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hey Im a SAHM, my daughter is 13 months old. We do lots of things during the day. We color, read, watch a movie or two, play babies, she helps me make lunch and sort laundry. Umm...we have made edible finger paints, thats a big fav. And very easy to do. We go outside. Go for walks. She plays by herself for about an hour while I get my chores done. She actually enjoys her alone time. We have a routine, its not strict, but we eat around the same times every day and go to bed at the same times. So I consider it routine.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Tiffers- Your daughter doesn't try to eat the crayons?! My daughter still puts EVERYTHING in her mouth!
    When does it stop?
    How do I make it stop?
    And how do you make edible finger paint?
    Thanks
    Anonymous

• I realy need to do a lot more than I do. I get my daughter and hubby off to school and work. Then I make the coffeefor the next day and put the timer on for 6:55 am the next morning. I start cooking dinner in the crock pot. I make my menus up for the week, gonna start typing them up and putting them in a binder so it wont be so hard figuring out something to eat each week. DUH! Why didnt I think of that?

Then if my 14 month old son is up by then, I feed him breakfast. Otherwise I eat breakfast and get on CAFEMOM! When he awakes he eats and like sto play with his toys and sit in my lap while I type on Cafemom. About three hours later of playing with his toys and conversing and singing with me. He takes a nap. I eat lunch and see how dinner is coming. He awakes and he eats lunch. We talk, sing, converse some more.

Ugh! Maybe I need to get some finger paints or something? Huh? Now I feel bad.
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 1:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We just make a mess you know. That is what he likes to do and that is just fine with me!
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 1:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I am a SHAM of a 12 mth old. We play, play and play some more. We run errands, plan meals, clean. Our only routine is getting her older brother off to school, then nap time around 1-2. She is good at playing by herself, but is always supervised. I let her play alone until she decides she wants Mommy to play to. She loves to sing, dance, color (the crayola beginners are great BTW), crawl around, play peek-a-boo, chase, etc. Anything to make her smile.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You know I just read another blog and it said, that you cnat really do tto much with a 1 year old. You can allow him to make a mess. Take him to the zoo (too cold right now) let him play with cups with water in them , stack things, read books (at him because wont stand still) and a new game hide the clothes pin on his clothes, it keeps him quiet during service... yeah right!
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 1:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my 12 month old and i do all kinds of things. play hide and seek...we read book, color, make messes, watch baby einstein, she helps me fold clothes (well i fold and she unfolds) we go shopping, go out to lunch!!! she is my BFF!!!
    lovesamelia

Answer by lovesamelia at 1:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• lol my daughter has never tried to eat a crayon, but she does put lots of stuff in her mouth. She has been coloring since she was like 10 months. And she knows pretty well by now that if I say "NO MOUTH!" she doesnt put it in her mouth and if she does it goes away. For the finger paints, just vanilla pudding and food coloring. Its messy, but very fun. I just use the boxed pudding and regular food coloring. And I let her paint on me or the table, or both lol. I know it sounds like too much of a mess, but its an awsome way to get little ones excited about colors. Thanks to my finger paints my daughter can already identify "Ed" and "Brew" (red and blue) lol.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2009