How can I get my 3 year old son to sleep in his own bed?!?!?

He never wanted to sleep in his crib when he was a baby, now he hates to sleep in his bed. I never wanted to let him sleep with us in the first place, and now it's out of hand. Any advice would be so helpful!

StifflersMom82

Asked by StifflersMom82 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is for all the co-sleepers to answer.
    Anonymous

• Ughh! I know what you're going through, except my daughter slept in her crib when she was a baby, then we got her a big kid bed and she loved it.. but now she's scared of it! We can't get her out of our bed. I know it's all about consistency, but I'm bad with that. I know I can't cave in when she's crying in her own bed to come to ours.. I'm such a softy. I always tell myself ''Okay, tonight she's NOT sleeping in our bed!'' I'm really going to try tonight.. if she gets out of bed, I'm just going to put her right back, no matter how hard she's crying. It's affecting our sex life, and I haven't had a good nights sleep in how long?!.. she's a kicker! So good luck to you!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Dude when you find out let me know!!!! LOL

I have 3 girls and they ALL start out in their own beds every single night. But every single morning at least 2 of them are in my bed. Usually all 3. It's not too big a deal since DH gets up at 3:30 for work but when we're all 5 in our Queen sized bed it gets pretty crowded.

I figure, my course of action is going to be, lol, nothing. Eventually they will stop coming to my bed. I highly doubt as teenagers they're gonna wanna sleep with mom and dad. So until then I'm just gonna snuggle their littleness up.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Check this out....I LOVE it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ17tutZtd8

munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• 1. sleeping bag in mommy's bed.
    2. sleeping bag on the floor in the bedroom with mommy.
    3. sleeping bag on the "big kid bed" in mommy's room.
    4. sleep in the big kid bed on the special sheets and blankets he picked out
    5. sleep in the big kid bed in his own room, with mommy in a sleeping bag in the room
    6. sleep by himself, finally, in his own bed and his own room. if he gets up, take him back to his own bed, comfort him til he falls asleep, and return to your own bed, every single time. it'll be like taking care of a newborn again for a while, but consistency will pay off.

That would be my game plan anyway. I hope you get it worked out!
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Is his room inviting? No coats hanging that would make a funny shadow at night? Is there a bright enough nightlight? Do you have a radio that you can play softly? It would be hard, but every time he comes into your room, take his hand and walk him back to his bed and pat his head till he's asleep. You'd probably only have to do this a few nights before he'll cave and sleep in his bed. Just be firm about it, explaining every time that his bed is his special place where he's safe and warm and where you can hear him and will "check in" often.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2009