How do you motivate yourself to work out?

I've just started going to the YMCA, and am hoping to lose at least 30 lb by the end of the year. I go to the Y twice a week, for a hour long cardio workout, then to the gym on the air force base once or twice a weekend to do 45 minute cardio and 30 minute weight training. I've been eating healthier because I don't see any sense in doing all the work and eating junk food continually! My question is how do you motivate yourself to get up and get to the gym? Once I get there I do fine, I just can always come up with reasons not to go! Do you take a favorite magazine? IPOD?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I had a friend counting on me to show up for our workouts.  I looked forward to seeing her and talking to her, and that motivated me to go no matter how lazy I felt.  If you don't have a friend, make one at the gym.  I'm sure you could find someone at the gym and make plans to meet them there and support each other to achieve your goals.  Also, seeing your workout friend reaching her goals will give you additional motivation to keep going and not give up.

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 6:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Look at myself naked in the mirror and tell myself that I'm a fatass.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Well all of our cardio machines have tv's in them so I just take my earphones so I can hear them. I motivate myself to go because I go stand in front of the mirror and turn sideways....when I see a pudge it makes it a lot easier to go.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yeah I love the ones with the tvs in them. our gym here on base has those, but not the Y, where I spend most of my time while my kids are doing gymnastics/basketball! I've pulled out the few photos of myself and they are definitely motivators!!!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i an trying this new pill called acai berry is help me not be so hungery and helps with giveing me more engery to be able to play more with my son or go and work out you mite want to look it up you get it for free just psy shiping
    mom_since08

Answer by mom_since08 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would say to drag a friend along. You can encourage each other to go. Another thing, some of my co-workers are starting a "biggest loser" contest. They are betting $50 who will lose the most. Money is always a good motivater.
    Stephanie15

Answer by Stephanie15 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• working out with my husband. I don't want him beating me in slimming up lol.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Do you have a friend who can motivate you? You both can stick to a schedule and keep each other on the right track. If not, bring your Ipod and make sure you reward yourself for going! Good luck!
    momsincedec1995

Answer by momsincedec1995 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yeah I have one friend who always says she wants to go but when we get there she only wants to do like 20 minutes then find a reason to go pick up her kids from the nursery or whatever. I do 30-45 minutes every time I go, no matter what. I found a good motivator though...after losing 15 lbs I get one new outfit. After losing 25, I get a new hairstyle, and when I get down to my goal weight, I get $300 to spend on new clothes.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Just picture what will happen if you DON"T go and JUST DO IT. And remember how easy it is once you get there :-) And rewarding.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 10:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2009