Were your periods different after you had baby?

My son is 6 months old. I was always very regular before I had him. Since his birth my periods have gone from 5 weeks to 4 weeks. Just this past week I started to experience breakthrough bleeding, or at least what I think is breakthrough bleeding and not implantation bleeding. Has anyone else experienced anything like this after the birth of their child?

hilary1122

Asked by hilary1122 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• Yup! I didn't get my frist period after having my youngest until 13 months post partum.. and They would flucuate from 45 days to 24 days.. and have now finally settled into a pattern of 27 days a cycle... I am now coming up on 3 years post partum. it is totally natural for your periods to be out of whack after baby. it may take months for everything to straighten out.. and you may never be exactly like you were before your pregnancy ever again.
    Don't expect everything to be the same again... it isn't with everything else in your life since baby right? why would you think it would be the same with your period.? lol
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 12:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• hmm.. well before i had my son my periods were really reg. like i had them every month.. and after him.. i only get it like once every 6 months. i recently discovered that i have a cyst and thats one of the reasons i dont get my period.. so yeah.. were working on that..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• yes i had a totaly dif period after my kid was born and it is still not back to the way it was before and she is 17 months old good liuck i hope that yours is better than mine
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My periods became erratic and lasted longer (the norm would be 4-5 days, they went to 7-9 days!). Never any spotting in between though. Thankfully, they somewhat regulated over time.
    MaryHatchet

Answer by MaryHatchet at 1:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009