screaming baby (in public)

my one yr old is quiet at home but screams in public. Any advice?

tazzyt19

Asked by tazzyt19 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would imagine the wee one is learning the sounds that he/she can make while in different environments. Young ones can tell the difference between being in an open space (outdoors) and a closed space (home). Even the difference between a small space like a bedroom and a large space like a grocery store. making sounds and hearing the echoes as in a foyer at Walmart is all part of their natural curiosity. They also don't know how to tone down the intensity of their screams especially when excited. Teaching them how to use an inside tone can be a challenge but I used to hold them and when they got loud I would whisper in their ear, kiss them or tickle them to distract them. It's all good and great part of learning. Of course you could always wear ear muffs

Answer by admckenzie at 12:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• Try and not take him out in public? LOL No seriously.....does he have a favorite toy? Or something that could distract him? Maybe take him out at bottle time so his mouth is busy. He's probally just scared or overstimulates by all the lights and sounds of public places. It's normal and he will grow out of it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:10 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Try not to make a big deal out of it. Your child may be doing it to just get your attention. They may quit if they realize its not getting your attention. Good luck, I know it can be embarrasing!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 18, 2008