Is it realistic?

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I am due June 6th! Very excited, but my wedding date is October 16th. Is it realistic to believe that I can lose all the baby weight before the wedding? This is my first so I have no idea how I'll feel after the baby, I normally work out, but I have already gained 15 lbs. I'm normally around 135-140, so after all is said and done I could be close to 190lbs. So I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I'm thinking realistically .... thanks!

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Are you going to breastfeed? If so dieting isn't really a good idea. You can of course work out but you'll still need to take in plenty of calories to support your baby.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I plan on breastfeeding for a month or so, but not long term. I guess that's being selfish, but I didn't want to in the first place. But that's a whole story on its own!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I lost all of my weight in two weeks for both of my kids. I gained about 40 for both. I didn't diet, but I did have a lot of water weight. i would make sure that you watch your weight during your pregnancy and that your not gaining more than normal. I'm sure you've heard that you really don't need to eat for two. I still have a lot of loose skin tho (its yucky)....I had ;my baby 11/24. I also had a friend who gained 60 lbs but she really worked hard at losing it after.
    Anonymous

• You can lose baby weight. First, the idea that we women need to gain weight when pregnant isn't true. You can snack and eat when you feel like it but snack on healthy things like fresh fruit and vegetables, light popcorn, rice cakes, soy chips, triscuits, 100 calorie snack packs, suagr free jello and pudding. And you can still workout every day. Leslie hart has wonderful exercise videos for pregnant women. If you eat the right foods and still move the majority of th weight you gain will be baby, placenta and fluids that will "go away" when you have your child!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I breastfed my daughter and was back in my pants the same week that i had her and even lost weight by two weeks and by 4 months of breastfeeding I had lost at least 15 more pounds. And I did not diet, I actually ate more breastfeeding than I did while I was pregnant! So breastfeeding will help with weight loss!!!!! good luck!!!!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 2:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I do not think you are being unrealistic.  If you gain about 30-35 pounds, you'll be fine.  I would strongly recommend breastfeeding as long as you are able.  Not only does it burn an extra 600-800 calories a day, but it causes uterine contractions that will help flatten your stomach area faster.  Although everyone is different, my experience with breastfeeding was that not only did I not have to diet, I could eat everything in sight!  I lost every pound I gained within two weeks of giving birth and was wearing my pre-pregnancy jeans.  Within the first year, I lost an additional 15 pounds breastfeeding and made no changes in diet and exercise. 

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 6:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think that is a realistic amount of time; just make sure you give your body time to heal after you have the baby! Don't start crash dieting right away. ;) You'll lose a lot of the weight naturally, and after a month or so you can start to diet and exercise regularly.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2009