dh wants to join the military.

my dh wants to join the military, we have been together for almost 7 years and have a five year old son. he has always wanted to join, but his life took alot of different paths so he never did enlist. But now that the economy has gotten so bad, he is out of a job and looking for something new... the military came to his mind. have any of you ladies had your dh join? was it the right decision for your family? please let me know the pros and cons. Good thing is, we already live in virginia beach, va so we may not have to move.

fcangel9

Asked by fcangel9 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• i was just about to ask the same questions i want my so to joine but i want t make sure its a good decision. i joined the navy and i loved it but im not active anymore. i want my so to joine the army
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I understand that! Last year my DH joined the Army Reserves it was a long summer and it was hard having him away but in the 5 months he was gone (depending on what he decides to do depends on how long he is gone) I paid off all of our debt except 1 credit card and a medical bill (not counting the cars) so for us it was a great decision. Now that hes back he does his 1 weekend a month and because he had military on his resume he was hired on the spot for a security job that pays the same as if he is on active duty.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• . We were also able to move for a 2 bedroom crappy apartment into a 4 bed 2 bath duplex. If you dont want to move the reserves are good and in the future he can decide to go full time army. But if you go full time army you cant change your mind and go reserves. Have him go talk to a recruiter and take the ASVAB test to see what jobs are available for him and depending on what job he gets depends on the pay. The insurance Tri-care is great! It covered my pregnancy and labor completely. If you have more questions go to GOARMY.COM and sign up and they have forums where you can actually ask recruiters and military family questions, You can also ask me anything else. So all in all for my family the Army worked out good thus far.
    ArmyWife112908

• My hubby has been in the Marine Corps for just over five years. His contrat recently ended and we were faced with the decision to get out or stay in. I encouraged him to stay in and he just re-enlisted. The previous post that said his job affects how much he gets paid is incorrect. All enlisted personel get the same base pay depending on rank and time in service. As for the pros and cons, the cons are always the separation issue, whether it be for training or deployment. The benefits are a steady paycheck, full coverage health insurance, and the option of base housing. I prefer the Marine Corps over Army because in general the deployments are much shorter, but the training is much more rigourous. His best bet is going to be for him to talk to a recruiter and for you to visit one of the groups on here for military moms and ask their opinions. You will get a lot of good advice that way.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my dh is looking into either the coast guard or the navy... i think he is leaning towards the navy. its going to be hard with deployments and possibly having to move.
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The Coast Guard and Navy both have long wait times right now for basic training. The Navy is making new recruits wait close to a year before they can even go to boot camp and the Coast Guard as of a few months ago was 18 months. That was what they told my dh because he looked at switching branches. My cousin enlisted in the Navy in the beginning of Dec. and he doesn't go to boot camp til September and that was the earliest they could take him. I don't know what the wait on the other branches are.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If your husband goes to the Army or Navy or whatever, do you HAVE to move? We live in Illinois and our family is here. My husband is considering going but I don't want to move.
    Anonymous

• my dh is active army and honestly i love it. i dont like when he deploys and stuff, but that just kinda comes with it. as long as you want to be together you will have to move if they tell you and where they tell you and when they tell you(our first duty station was a 1,000 miles from where all our family was) . the pay isnt all that bad if you manage your money right (after almost 6 years im just now getting that one hehe:) plus the job security is really good and the health benifits are great. . for us alot of the negitive stuff (except deployments and training) are kinda the same as any job, he has to work for his promotions, there are some long days and some days where he comes home all full of energy cause their wasnt much to do that day. when he isnt deployed he comes home most nights (sometimes he has duty) we eat dinner together, on weekends we just hang out. good luck with what you guys decide
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• When we lived in Maine my hubby joined the Navy Reserves as a CM because he felt he needed a change in his life and a boost for his morale instead of working crappy jobs all the time. When openings came up for a new division in the MA section for active duty, he looked into it and they accepted him. He was part of the original crew that began Mobile Security in Virginia Beach. The downside to that duty was the amount and length of the deployments, but the upside was all the training he received, the boost to his morale, the pride he had in himself and his country, and the new passion he found in his career. Since then we have transferred to northern VA where he is staioned in DC and he has worked his way through college and is now working towards his Master's degree. He is not reenlisting next year because he'll make 5 times more for the federal government at what he does.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Something you should know, though.
    When anyone enters the military, their credit and backgrounds are checked. I imagine they are looked at more closely now because of the economy. They won't allow anyone to join who is in financial hardship.
    I know there are waivers for age and children, but you mention only one child (we had 3) so it shouldn't be a problem.
    He also has to be committed and willing to work hard, study, and have a positive and respectful attitude.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2009