Pregnant without insurance

We make WAYYYY too much for ANY kind of state help. No Medicaid, and no pregnancy medicaid. I would like to hear from those who paid out of pocket to have there baby. I do have health insurance, but not a maternity rider. I am debating a home birth. Let me hear your story.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In California, there's a program called AIM for moms that make too much for Medi-Cal. You pay a percentage of your income towards your prenatal and delivery.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• sometimes you can get a discount on your pregnancy like instead of paying 3000 for the ob and the delivery you could pay less if you meet the requirements. like you could pay like a thousand instead, because of your income. at least that is how they do it in Utah.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i would check with your delivery hospital and see if they have a program that can help you out
    Anonymous

• What do you need to do in order to see about the sliding scale?
    Anonymous

• Most HB MWs will work out a plan for out-of-pocket payments & are much less costly overall than hospital birthing/OB care. Where are you on your path?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I chose not to have medical with my last pregnancy. I could have probably used medicaid. I hired a midwife since I wanted a homebirth anyway(which wouldn't have been covered) and paid out of pocket. It was a fraction of the cost of a hospital birth.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I'd check out a midwife as well and home birth sounds great to me after my experiences with hospitals.In most states that allow midwives they consult with a doctor in case of a problem so it sounds like the way to go.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If you don't want a homebirth, you can also look into a free standing birthing center. They have birthing suites or birthing tubs and midwives. They are cheaper than a hospital birth as well.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• There are programs that each doctor and hospital have for people who do not have the proper insurance coverage. They significantly discount the prices and set up payment plans and even sometimes if you qualify you will not have to pay a thing. They are hard to find and you will have to spend some time trying to get ahold of the right person to talk to, but every doctor's office and hospital has a special plan like this. The have to, it is federal law. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• So I'm assuming you have private health insurance like we did? I paid about $5000.00 out of pocket for the birth. I was in the hospital for under 24 hours and I didn't have an epidural. Oh and I also asked the nurses about how much every little thing would cost and I declined things, especially another night in the hospital which would have just about doubled our bill. I don't know how it is all over, but in the state I live, the income guidlines for who qualifies for pregnancy medicaid went way up to where we now qualify.
    Anonymous