how to increase my milk flow, or something

okay, jesse is almost 3 months now and my milk flow is not the best i dont want to switch to formula.
for some dome reason i didnt think to pre-pump milk for when i went back to work so now im pumping for the next days worth.
im haveing trouble juggling feeding jesse and pumping when im on my days off, because if i wait an hour after i feed him i only get about 2 oz total, and if i pump before it is feeding time then he fusses with me because hes not getting the gush of the let down, i think, or maybe he is not getting enough. im not sure what to do, but when i pump at work i i still only get about 3 oz on my break so it takes a whole work day plus the rest of the evenig to pump for the next day.
please help me figure this out someone.

nanners2187

Asked by nanners2187 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try drinking tons of water, and eating oatmeal. that will help to increase your supply. for now, keep pumping immediately after you feed him. you may not get much at first, but it will train your body to make more. also, pump at any free moment. this will also help to increase supply. i know it seems annoying to sit and pump all day, but youll have to do it until your supply increases. give it a couple weeks, and it will be the rate you need it to be
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I try to pump on one side while my baby eats on the other. I get better let down that way. Also, if you're working a full 8 hours, I would suggest taking more than one pumping break. I'm sure your supply is fine- pumping is no indication of that. As long as you're changing 6-8 wet diapers in 24 hours, you're fine.

The pumping while feeding is hard to maneuver, but totally doable and works wonderful for me.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Oh- Also, when I first went back to work, I started taking Fenugreek- an herbal supplement that helps increase supply- you can find it almost anywhere. I take 12 capsules- 4, 3 times a day. That also seemed to help a lot.

I have to pump at home all the time to ensure that she has enough bm while I work, so that's normal.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Mothers milk organic tea
    Anonymous

• I think you have received some great answers here. Also, are you going to be able to pump while you are away from your baby? Does Jesse sleep through the night, or for any long stretch of time? If so, that is a good time to pump, right in the middle. If you wake before him, and know he will not be awake for a bit, pump then too. On your days off, try not to stress too much about pumping. Concentrate on your baby and nursing him. If you get a chance to pump, take it, but if not, it's ok. There are pumps on the market that can be worn UNDER your clothes, and no one can even tell you are pumping! That might be a worthwhile investment for when you are at work. Hope I have helped some!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009