what should I do?

My neighbors son told my son he would go to hell for going to see Harry Potter movies because they were about witchcraft. So here's my question, do I put a hex on the son or the parents?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 1:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well lets fly over on our broomsticks and see if we can help you...mine is in the shop right now so I have to borrow one. Anyone got an extra? Seriously though, remind him that there are some people that have issues with even Shakespeare because of some of his mystical characters in his work.  I wouldn't worry about it unless the neighbors keep it up.  Then it's time to have a chat with folks. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Wow. Did you tell them that you don't appreciate then saying something like that to your child? That it isn't their place?
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Are you a witch or something? Why would you put a hex on them?? That's kind of immature don't you think?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Your son is going to encounter more and more people like this as he gets older, I think you just need to teach him how to respond politely but firmly to those people that even though they believe that way, doesn't mean that is what he believes. And explain to your son that it's ok to be friends with people that don't believe the same way you do.
    Anonymous

• Geez, so serious!!! No I'm not a witch. But I was born on halloween. Really. I was only kidding about the hex. I'll just have to remember to invite them to my devil worship party next year!!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Wow! I just don't get some people! I'm sure the kid's parents told him that's why he couldn't see the movie like all his friends were. What a terrible thing for your son to hear when it's not even remotely true!

I know some people believe that the movies are bad, but I just don't see it. Ultimatley they're about GOOD vs. EVIL. Nothing wrong with that! I would just use it as an opportunity to start teaching your son that people believe different things and no one is right or wrong necessarily, but you should never shove your beliefs down someones throat or ever tell someone thier going to hell because they believe different from you!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I told my son that everyone believes different things. I told him not to worry about it and that just because his friend says that, it doesn't make it true. Etc. Etc.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• lighten up feesharose.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You have to be careful with hexes. The karma you put out good or bad will come back on you three fold. :) You talk to the parents of the child and see if you can agree to disagree. The child was out of line to say that, but I'm willing to bet it was learned from his parents. And of course I think you handled it fine. You're teaching your son tolerance.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would personally go and talk to the parents... tell them that you have nothing against what they believe or teach their son, but you would like to make sure that their son, or them do not try to push their beliefs onto your own son. Be polite and understanding, but also stand your ground about how you felt their son reacted to your own son in that situation.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009