Did we forget about ourselves?

I am all for defending the rights of others and saving children in this nation and others alike but I sometimes feel as if we've been losing sight of ourselves. We go outside of the country to adopt children and while I feel for these children we have orphaned children here at home. I understand that it is sometimes easier but what about our children? We also go to the aid of almost anyone who needs support. We are involved in crisis of our own and I wonder while we're busy saving the world who is going to save us?

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 1:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I totally get what you're saying. It's not that there aren't enough people in the US who want to adopt a kid from here, it's just that our system is so flawed. If you can adopt a child from another country easier than you can from your own country then something is fundamentally wrong. Having said that, you should read "The Road to Lost Innocence" by Somaly Mam. I read it with my mouth hanging open. It's the true story of her life and her struggle to save children forced into child prostitution in Cambodia. I know that seems off the subject. But if you read the book you'll see what I mean. If I EVER thought of adopting a child i would adopt one from there just to save the child.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree, It's starts at home!
    Anonymous

• I agree. Our church mention how many older kids there are in our OWN nation that deserve a home. We have discussed adoption quite a bit over the years.

Do you know what else is sad? Americans fight for Humane rights of people of other nations, but let our veterans remain in large parts homeless. I encourage people to visit http://www.nchv.org/ to donate time, efforts, etc in your area to help.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree!But as for someone helping us...well we owe them alot of money so they dont have to help us out.We arent the only ones in a recession.Most other countries are too.Its sad when the 'richest' country is in such poor finicial conditions.

As for adopting....I think alot of children are adopted here still its just not talked about as much so we dont see it as much as the other.
    Anonymous

• We owe them a lot of money? Which countries, specifically, are you referencing?

I think it's poor to assume that other countries should not help the U.S. in their time of need. This is the point of having allies, friendly nations around the world that we can turn to, and that can turn to us. What point about recession are you trying to make exactly, anon@1:43?

Yes, I think we spend a lot of money on other countries, and frankly, I think a lot of them take it for granted (Iraq, Israel, etc.) Focusing on problems here at home should definitely be the priority, but that doesn't mean we completely turn our backs on other nations (like Sudan, for example, where so many millions are starving to death and are the victims of genocide.)
    Anonymous

• Anonymous I get what you are saying,but I agree with GMR, we have too many flaws in our system.. most of them stemming from our own selves.. this is a time when we should be pulling together as a nation, and helping eachother out... if you see a family struggling financially, invite them to your home for a nice home cooked meal, a friend lost their job, help them find another, and offer things in your kitchen that you may have extra of to help out... help a neighbor shovel their driveway... All the time I see people asking for handouts because of pure laziness, we wouldn't have so much of that if we would learn to pull together and help one another out during times of need.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• holy whoa! i thought i was the only one who asks insane questions like that.
    we have been so wrapped up in saving everyone else we are going to collapse.
    no one cares about U.S.; we are too consumed with the Almighty Dollar....

chicka:)
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We are adopting outside the country because we cannot adopt here. I have a history of mental issues when I was younger that keep me from being eligible to adopt here in the US now. Thankfully, other countries look at what you are doing today and are willing to grant us the right to adopt. We have a son and he is well cared for and loved. I have not had any issues in over 12 years. That is why may adopt out of the country they cannot adopt here. You fix the law I will adopt here in the USA.

Anonymous

• Yea, in the US there are foster homes,shelters, free school lunch, free vaccinations,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc. Plus it's up to the person spending THEIR money where they want to adopt...not up to you,me,us. Live and let live!!!

How many of YOU are out there HELPING and/or adopting these children in the US? Not many so, stop complaining!

Anonymous

• Personally, I think America needs to work on fixing America. That's how things will work out in the long run.

Then again it's hard to see people/places/things that need more immediate help then you personally do/see and not do anything about it.

madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 4:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009