HELP!!! If you have a child with ADHD, please help???

My son is almost 5 and they are thinking of putting him medicine for ADHD. He is always moving and can be passive-aggressive at times. It spiraled out of control before Christmas, but lately he has been much better. His stepdad has made more of an attempt to spend time with him and I am more patient. I have started him on an elimination diet and I am wondering if any moms out there know about effects of soy milk vs. whole milk. Right now all he can have is rice milk. Also wondering where to go next...can someone please help and share their stories and advice. Moms know their kids better than the docs!

jami00007

Asked by jami00007 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow, u r in for a ride! Is hard to live with, but you will get through it over time. My 10 year old has ADHD. The teachers are all diff, some believe in it, some do not. Meds were not good for mine. I do see a change when she eats healthy food, lots of fresh veg/fruits seems to help. Routine is important, same thing every night/day can get hard to do, but they need it. Most important is to have your husband support you, not fight you!
    dhoppe

Answer by dhoppe at 1:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My 10 yr. old DS was diagnosed with severe ADHD and ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) at age of 5. My best advice is RESEARCH, ASKING QUESTIONS, TALKING TO HIS TEACHER(S) AND PEDIATRICIAN IS THE KEY b/c in order to come up with a treatment/intervention plan, you all have to be on the same page for your son to benefit so it's crucial for you and DH to be actively involved every step of the way and work together as ADHD affects all of you b/c when your son is having an "off day", it's stressful for all of you. The teacher(s) can also have a different perspective & how they are in a school setting as compared to home b/c they can be very different.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• P.S. There are a ton of websites that offer valuable info. on ADHD and such things. You might start there. It will also help for you and DH to come up with a list of ?s, concerns, suggestions/advice/thoughts you've gotten from other parents with children that have ADHD and take it to his next Dr.s appointment so you remember everything you want to talk about as sometimes we forget. Hope this helps some and feel free to message me if you'd like to talk, vent (lol) and maybe I can offer some input on what has/hasn't worked for our son that may help yours. Hang in there hun, it does get easier. it just takes a little longer!

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Hi, after trying to figure out what was wrong with my son my husband and I took our son to the Dr and she said he displayed the signs of having ADHD. I went back and forth on giving him medication at such a young age but he was constantly getting into trouble at school and was disrupting his class b/c he has a hard time focusing and transitioning from one activity to the next. We put him on Adderall the beginning of Christmas break and I believe it was the right decision. We can now reason with him and his school work looks so much better. All of his teachers have noticed that he is more focused. I would like to mention that he hasn't changed other than he's more focused. He is still a very hyper and active 5 year old. Let me know if you need anymore advice or personal experience from this. Good luck!!!
    MFG77

Answer by MFG77 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Good idea to work on the food first. The other thing you will be told is to see if there is a gluten allergy. Try that, too. I waited until my son was 7 before I'd entertain meds, and then realized I was punishing myself. I'd make the caution that Adderall caused my son to be violent, but Concerta has been a wonder for us for the past 4 years. The only thing that has needed to be adjusted is an increase in the dosage because he has grown! My son has other issues as well, but the ADHD is handled very well with Concerta. Feel confident that you have tried all these other options before the meds, and then discuss your options with the dr. Make sure you are not just going along with the teachers. Also, my son is 7 days meds. I don't agree with taking weekends off. I want him to be pleasant with me, too! Good luck
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 10:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My daughter is 7 and had signs of ADHD until recently. I heard about dietary interventions and started the gfcf diet 2 years ago. I limited soy (just soy cheese and yogurt) and gave almond milk for drinking (tastes better anyway). When I removed artificial dyes and colors her hyperactivity disappeared. She was given a diagnosis of PDD NOS with a recommendation to test for ADHD soon when she was 6. She still has attention issues but at least she sits in her chair now. I do not plan to use medication but will consider it when she is older. She is in a mainstream 2nd grade and having some difficulty with the high expectations these days. But diet has been the biggest change in her behavior.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 9:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My son is 3 and has ADHD and ODD! and its a tuff road im going down, but its wat i gota do. right now im puting my son in therapy for adhd toddlers and so far i have to address 1 problem at a time. luckily my sons diet is great! (i hope it dnt change tho) he eats whatever i put in fron of him! but my son is extremly agressive and thats the hardest for me. I CANT EVEN PUT HIM IN PRESCHOOL! im too afraid he will hurt other kids, and thats what we are working on right now. i hope you find the advice you are looking for! good luck i know its tough but remember other moms are going threw the same thing. dont lose hope!
    2momsandsuave

Answer by 2momsandsuave at 6:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2009