My son got a doll for christmas...

Ok, I let my son play with girl toys all the time, but do you think it is odd that he was actually given a girl toy? Would you ever buy a friend's boy a girl toy? I am torn on how I feel about it...

BTW my son is 2.

dakotaNrye

Asked by dakotaNrye at 1:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i usually ask my friends what their kids need. if they think the boy needs a doll, sure i buy one.

if i would have a boy.. i would buy him a doll too. why not?! i dont see a problem with it. i think its a good way to teach them responsibility. like our 1 1/2 yr old daughter has a doll now that we feed together (we pretend to hehe), then we get the doll ready for bed and i tell our DD that she should not hit the doll and stuff like that.
    The feeding the doll doesnt workt hat good yet.. she smacks the cookie in the dolls head. but she is getting better day by day.. lol

but seriously... today its normal that boys play with dolls. not odd at all :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• wow no i wouldn't buy a boy a girl toy .i would get him a boy toy .thats strange
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yea that is a bit weird and i wouldn dare give any boy a doll. Not that there is anything wrong with little boys playing with dolls cause my son does as well (he's 18 m) but I wouldn want him to get barbie and all her friends as a gift
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The closest thing i will get my son to a doll is Mickey Mouse!!!! HE love Mickey Mouse and maybe Minnie, but that's it. He loves to play w/ my daughter's bratz dolls but i try to take them away, but it never works!
    madre_of_2

Answer by madre_of_2 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• FTR- I am all cool with him playing with girl toys :) He plays with dolls at day care and with my girlfriends daughter, that is not what I felt odd about. Hell, I thoruoughly support boys playing with girl toys, I just don't how to feel about actually having one bought for him.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My youngest had a doll that he carried all over the place. It was a boy baby and when asked about it, he would say "dis my babby I'm his fadder." LOL Seems to me like my husband is a wonderful role model for the boys. Wouldn't the world be different if boys were taught early on that children are precious and REAL men are responisble for, care for and nurture their babies? Now the boys have moved on to trucks and legos and things but they will still on occasion play with the dolls some. It doesn't bother me and they are rock solidly boys to the core, lemme tell ya!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 1:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think it's great. What is there to fear in him having a "girl" toy?

Are you afraid he's going to turn gay or something?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I paint his toe nails and finger nails... I let him wear his girlfriends tutu's... Yeah I am scared he is going to be driving in the wrong lane when he grows up...
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I make sure my daughter knows that there is no such thing as 'boy toys' and 'girl toys'. I let her know that all kids can play with all toys. For her 4th birthday she got (among other things) a set of matchbox cars and a hair-do doll. What's the difference? Why are people so worried about this stuff? They're freaking toys and he's freaking 2!!
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 2:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with boys having dolls. It teaches them sensitivity toward others and teaches them to be nurturing. There's nothing wrong with girls having trucks and cars either. It's good for kids to experience a variety of toys, not just gender appropriate ones.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009