Bad Oprah?

I keep hearing people complain that Oprah opened that school for girls in Africa. They say, " why doesn't she do that in America?" "we need schools too". I swear, those people drive me crazy. In Africa, rape is used as a weapon of war. Women and young girls, ( as young as 4 and 5) are gang raped on a daily basis. Then maybe they shoot them for good measure. Oh yeah, and you might get your clitoris chopped off too. By having that school there, it provides a safe place and a possible future. What's wrong with that?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 1:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• like you said above she is keeping these girls from harm... the reason she probably doesn't do it in America, is because in America, we really don't need new schools, we need better funding for some, but that is something that you and a person in your own community can contribute to... If you really are so against Oprah helping these girls in Africa, and not in America, write a letter to her asking her why, instead of complaining about it, or be like Oprah and start helping out your own communities school.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I'm glad she is doing that!! The stories about mutilation, scare the crap out of me!! I'm glad I live in America!!
    delta139

Answer by delta139 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i agree with you, i think what shes doing is great! i think the reason people get upset about it is because we see poverty in our own streets on a daily basis, but the only time you hear about anyone doing any good for the less fortunate is in other countries. im not saying theyre right, but i can see where they are coming from. a lot isnt being done to help people in america that are abused or poor. but i still dont think people should degrade her for doing good in other countries
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think Oprah and what she is doing is AWESOME! She is a true inspiration to all of us little people. We all say, I can't I can't But she only says I CAN. And she is giving these girls, who have an honest to goodness reason to say I can't, the chance to say I CAN...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think the great things Oprah does with her "celebrity status" is awesome. I don't have one single thing against her. I have been totally enjoying her "make a better life" week. And I agree, she has valid reasons for helping out the children in Africa and if you don't agree, write away.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, PEOPLE GET UPSET BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW ALL THE FACTS.

Answer by older at 3:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I love that she has done a lot of charity work. I think it shows a lot for her character. I'm glad that someone is thinking about people all over the world, and not just in America. We are all people and deserve to be treated as so.

I don't care for how she has taken her beliefs and made a "church". I don't think what she believes in is true and she has got a LOT of follwers thinking she is right. It's sad!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i LOVE what she's doing over there. i heard somewhere that she was raped as a girl & that prolly drives her to do the school even more. ive never heard anyone say anything bad about it tho.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I don't care for how she has taken her beliefs and made a "church". I don't think what she believes in is true and she has got a LOT of follwers thinking she is right. It's sad!

Well, it's true for her and it's true for the millions of people who are flocking to her webcasts.  And it's very true for me.  It sure filled my heart with joy to see someone of her status come into the spiritual journey with me.  Nobody says you have to go along with it.  But please don't condone others for "following".

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• there are several reasons i've never liked oprah, but her charity work isn't one of them. if it helps someone else, and she gets tax credit for it, good for her! i'd think it a shame for someone with her money/clout NOT to do good for others. and there are certainly numerous people in that category, i'm sure. so, yeah for oprah!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009