Does your child listen to your music or do you play something different when they are around?

I like the latest music such as hip hop and rock/alternative. I always listen to it when my DD is in the car. And she does learn the words to the songs. Sometimes I wonder if that is a good idea........ LOL!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2012 in General Parenting

• I have never changed what I listen to. Three of mine are grown and other then having excellent taste in music and loving "the oldies" (lol anything is an oldie if it is from their childhood FYI), there was no perm damage =-)

Answer by gemgem at 8:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• When my little ones (3 yo and 18 months) are in the car, I found a nursery rhyme/silly song CD set that is set to cool music that I can stand, but has songs like The Hokey Pokey, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, etc.
    When my 10, 12, and 14 yo's are in the car I listen to my music, which is also their music - top 40 stuff. I have found sometimes inappropriate lyrics are a great conversation starter for certain topics to talk about what's okay, what's not okay, and to get their thoughts.

Answer by missanc at 8:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• I listen to Christian music, so no, I don't change what I listen to when I have kids in the car. Never anything inappropriate (in my opinion).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• My kids listen to what I do. That can range from bluegrass, classical to painters and wocka. I'm all over the map when it comes to music
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• There are a few songs with explicit lyrics that I will skip if they come on when the kids are in the room. But other than that for the most part they listen to what we do. We sing kids songs together but don't really listen to recordings of them (with a few notable exceptions like the Grisman/Garcia album "Not For Kids Only".
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• My kids listen to what I listen too luckily the stuff I mostly listen too doesn't have profanity in it. In fact some of my DS favorite bands are Disturbed,Nightwish, Peter Gabriel, Tim Mcgraw, he also like Kitaro too. Yeah I know I have weird taste in music :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• Most of my music I'll play around my daughter; I avoid playing her anything that would be unseemly for a preschooler to start spontaneously singing in public.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• My young adult children listen to my music when they are with me. I have car radio set to KLove (Christian music) and tell my kids that my vehicle only like Christian music. They just laugh. Funny thing though, my two oldest daughters who are on their own now (20 & 23) listen to Christian music most of the time as well. Is great when I get in their cars, and once they turn it on, they have Christian radio on already... Don't get me wrong though, I still love good ole rock n roll :)
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• Our kids have always listened to what we listen to. They have all grown up with the Rolling Stones; Beach Boys, Turtles, The Irish Rovers, Elvis; (the list is long....) as well as classical like the Haleluah Chorus; War of 1812 Overture; Mozart; Beethoven; Country; folk; jazz; what would be considered kid songs; and current music like Avenged Sevenfold; Hailstorm; Disturbed and of course the hiphop stuff.
    We find there are things in all types of music we enjoy and things we don't like at all, our kids are pretty much the same.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:18 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• we all listen to the same stuff - country. when i am alone (working or after the kids have gone to bed) i listen to some other stuff.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2012