Tubal ligation (right after birth) AND breastfeeding

so my hubby is getting the big V PLUS i also want to get a tubal (i really cannot get preggo again... very high risk and i NEED to see my kids grow :)

anyway, i've always breastfed my children after they are born (actually all for 13 months each :) I think the colostrum is so important not to mention the bonding between mom and baby the first day of life while breastfeeding :)

ANYWAY, my dr. said that he can perform the tubal the first day after baby is born BUT i couldn't BF for 24 hrs, i would have to "pump and dump" b/c of the anesthesia....

This worries me b/c i really want to bf this last baby and i'm afraid of the what if's of bottle feeding him while i'm in surgery and following for the "pump and dump" period... WHAT if he loves the bottle and formula.... how much harder will it be to nurse him after he's been exposed to formula? PLEASE advice....

mommy-2-3

Asked by mommy-2-3 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can nurse as soon as you wake from anesthesia as long as you feel up to it. Basically, if you can hold your baby, you can nurse it. The anesthesia will NOT get to your baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Also, you might pump prior to surgery, and have the baby syringe fed, or finger fed so that s/he is still receiving colostrum, and NOT a bottle nipple.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It's me again.... I keep thinking of things to say.... You should discuss with your doctor the possibility of c-section. Not saying go and schedule one, but he should know that if the EMERGENT need for a c-section arises, that you would like the tubal done at the same time as the c section.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• They never said anything like that to me. I had a tubal 3 hours after my son was born and breast fed him right after as well as before
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Take it from me, you do not want to get your tubes tied!! I got mine tied 2 1/2 years ago and I have had nothing but problems ever since. Google Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome and see what all can happen to you if you have your tubes tied. I am very high risk also and can not have another baby and I so wish someone had told me what havoc a tubal ligation can cause. I would have definitely urged my husband to get a vasectomy instead of me getting my tubes tied. If your husband is willing to have one done, then let him! It is so much easier for a man to get over and it won't cause him a whole mess of issues.
    Anonymous

• I have discussed w md and IF c-sec is necessary they will do the tubal at that time, BUT i've had 3 normal vaginal deliveris so i think and hope this one is vaginal as well........... i will try discussing about nursing post surgery again... also maybe local anesthesia? or keeping me on the epi for the surgery RIGHT after the vaginal birth... idk...
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Discuss the nursing with LLL. I'm telling you that everything I know says nursing after anesthesia is safe as long as you are alert. I do also hope that you have a safe, non surgical delivery. If you are uncomfortable nursing after the anesthesia, I think discussing the possibility of doing the surgery with an epidural or spinal block is a good alternative. Good luck, and keep me posted!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Hey...What about the Essure procedure? there is only one day of down time? Talk to the dr about that maybe?
    mom2jesse

Answer by mom2jesse at 5:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• krysta has some great advice on this topic, listen to her!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• For someone who's never had a tubal, or any surgery besides oral surgery, I guess I do know a lot!

I crave information about breastfeeding, and anything I know, I try to pass along. I'm an active LLL member, so a lot of what I know comes from there.

Thanks for the props, heatherama.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009