How do you deal with anxiety?

I was diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) a few months before i got pregnant and today I feel really anxious and worried. Does anyone else have this and how do u deal with those feelings? I hate feeling so worried and shaky inside.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well I'm not pregnant so I take anxiety medication. I don't really know what you can safely take while you're pregnant. But you can try and monitor it by exercising, eating good foods, and trying to stay away from stressful situations.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I also have anxiety and had to deal with it throughout my pregnancy with no meds. I just learned to use the breathing techniques similar to when you're giving birth. Deep breathes in through the nose and a long breathe out the mouth. Good Luck!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 1:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel. I gave up my meds while I was trying to get pregnant and now that I am things are just extra extra stressful. Trying to stay away from stressful situations is good advice but sometimes hard to adhere to.
    gretch81

Answer by gretch81 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know how you feel. I also suffer from anxiety and was on meds for it. I gave them up when I found out I was pregnant. BIG mistake. I'm now 27 weeks and am on Zoloft. I feel SO much better! I always felt the way you described, very uneasy and worried, but I didn't know what about. Everything seemed to bother me. It was like my brain was an eight lane highway while everyone else's was a dirt road! I worried about anything and everything. I know everyone has different ideas on what is safe during pregnancy but my med. helps a lot with my anxiety. Please talk to your doctor and see what options are available. I'm not saying you should just pop pills. You have to do what your comfortable with. You don't want to go through your entire pregnancy a nervous wreck! That isn't healthy. Good luck and congrats!
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I suffered with anxiety for years, but I never took any meds. I believe in mind over matter and that you have the strength inside to overcome it. I read self help books on anxiety and practiced relaxing and not trying to control my feelings or be afraid of them, just letting them pass and I have been anxiety free for almost a year now...I do have some worries but they never get to the level of thought consuming or causing any physical feelings of worry.

Anonymous