No talking during school lunch...

Today I went to have lunch with my oldest daughter, and observe (she's been complaining about the lunch attendant), anyway, they have a 30 minute lunch...no recess..25 minutes of lunch they are not allowed to talk, and they are not allowed to go to the bathroom. I was just wondering what your thoughts on this situation are? There's more to this story but I am trying to get some honest answer without being biased...before I meet with her principal about this on Monday.

megmckn

Asked by megmckn at 1:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ridiculous and wrong .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think that's absolutely LUDICROUS! They are in class all day and have to be quiet, they need that short amount of time to destress, just chill out for a little bit.

Sounds like the lunch attendant is a power hungry old hag that needs to loosen up or quit working with children. I'd definitely be complaining about that ASAP!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• That's not right at all.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• That is insane.....the best conversations happen while eatting...
    If that ever happens in my daughters school, I will be bitching all the way to the principles office!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Glad to hear you all see it that way...I feel the same way, but didn't want to over react. I have scheduled a meeting Monday to voice my concerns.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 1:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• in elementary school we were not allowed to talk at lunch as well. In the 6th grade i actually got SUSPENDED for asking a fellow classmate if she needed her fork. the lunch aide told me to go to detention i refused and tried to explain what happened but she took that as being rude and disobedient and they suspended me for 3 days !!! I also was banned from the class trip to philadelphia =(. Luckily my dean knew my mother and he knew me as never being a rude or disobedient child and the suspension was not put on my record and he said to think of my suspension as a little vacation lol. My mother and I thought this rule was ridiculous and they still have the rule at the school. Kids cant talk in class so lunch so be the one place they communicate. I didn know other schools had this stupid rule.
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I just so happen to be a lunchroom Attendant (sorta) and I think they have gone over board. Personally I dont care if the kids want to chat quietly with eachother, or get up to go use the rest room. BUT, I think this school must of had a problem with kids Yelling, not listening to teachers, PLAYING in the bathrooms, Etc, or they wouldn't have suck strict rules. Also what grade is your daughter in? If she's an older kid, they should be able to chat quietly. If they are 2-4 the grade (i know from experiance) they are a loader bunch, that goofs off, and the attendant may need to be more strict with them. If the attendant is just being MEAN, I would go to the Principle ASAP.
    Momabean

Answer by Momabean at 2:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• God, that sounds more like prison.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• When I was in middle school that happened a couple times. If the lunchroom started to get too loud they would flicker the lights, which meant we needed to talk a bit quieter. Well if our lunch period got too loud and a lot of people were getting in trouble, they would tell us that the next day there would be a silent lunch, and teachers would monitor us to make sure we didn't say a word. If we got caught we got detention. Yes, I do think its ridiculous, it's the only time kids get a breather in school. Luckily, high school administrators understood that -.-
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• That's terrible! How in the world does that resemble the real world? Bridget is right, it sounds like a prison. Oh wait, prisoners are allowed to exercise in the yard, aren't they?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009