Breastfeeding while on Antidepressants

I am really wanting to breastfeed this time around only problem is I am not sure that I can take my anitdepressants while bf ing...Anyone know if you can still take meds while breastfeeding...I am worthless without my meds especially post partum....I have HORRIBLE post partum depression....Oh and btw I have stopped them while I am preggo....Its hard but I am making it! : )

calaid

Asked by calaid at 1:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed while on antidepressants. There are a few that are safe for both pregnancy and breastfeeding. Don't worry you don't have to go med free!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Be sure to consult with your doctor , but yes there are safe antidepressants for breastfeeding moms.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• you def. need to talk to your doctor about that. because some of those medications have a high amount of chemicals in there. especially those ppd medicine. i refused to take any kind of medicine when i suffered from PPD. because only thing they did were making me to feel good but didnt solve the problem. i took the long and hard way and got a therapy.

if those chemicals ect. are in your system, they of course will also go into your breastmilk= not good for the baby.

ask your doctor for what kind of medicine exactly you are allowed to take.

i wish you good luck. if you can only make it on medication, then its really bad and you should consider a therapy.
    all the best for you!!!! *hug*
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I took Effexor XR when I was breast-feeding. My doctors told me that particular drug was safe.
    Anonymous

• Here you go Carrie:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html
    scc4377

Answer by scc4377 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my ob gave me paxil while bf ing
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• There are quite a few that are safe to take. I have the bible if you want me to look up the specific drug. (The bible being Dr. Hale's Medications and Mothers' Milk.)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I took Lexapro while breastfeeding my daughter (2nd child) and Zoloft with my youngest son (3rd child).

Both are safe for breastfeeding.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think it's great you want to bf this time. Definately check out the kellymom site sabra sent you too but just look around that site also to gather more info. With Isaac I wouldn't have breastfed him had I not done my research first. Also, www.breastfeeding.com is a great site. Good luck!
    miss_ang

Answer by miss_ang at 2:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Listen to Sabra and Angie, they know what they are talking about! :)
    Tiffatoe

Answer by Tiffatoe at 2:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2009