what i should do?

My son is 4, and has autism. He was in the first steps program, once a week for 30 min a man would come to our house and observe my son. I tried taking him to speech and occupational therapy. God that went bad. twice a week he would go. He didnt improve at all. And it got to where when we passed the building he would scream and bite himself.I keep being told that my son should be put in his local school. Which i think he cant handle at this time. Im being told to put him on a bus and let them work with him for 7 hrs. I know my son and i know he cant handle it. I could give u a long list of his issues but not enough room. NO one will give me other options. Help!? I asked if i could bring him a couple times a week for therapy at the school but they said put him in a prek class. its a no kids left behind school. they dont really have a seperate class for him! what should i do?

bookworm13

Asked by bookworm13 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a friend with a son who is living with Autism. He is only 3, but if you'd like, I can ask her if she would mind speaking with you and maybe you can pick each others brains.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Find a school that has an AU (autism based curriculum) Classroom, or homeschool and give him a good 30-40 hours of instruction per week yourself. Your child needs to be in a highly structured and consistent learning environment. Either put him in school or begin doing it yourself. If you need help planning a curriculum for him and developing appropriate teaching materials and schedules, just Msg. me. I'd be happy to help in any way that I can.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009