Is there a place to make real/decent friends online?

I have no friends-- I mean that- none... I am not a bad person or anything -at least I don't think so :-) I have lived in same city for 10 years but I work and my husband and I have opposite work schedules so we never really get out anyplace together. My husband doesn't have friends either due to our schedules.

I am really shy and quiet but really craving some friends to talk to. I am tired of being lonely. I have no family and my husband's parents live across the country and are not very nice to us and never talk to the kids either.

I am just wondering if there is a website where you can make friends- real friends- not a dating site. Does anything like that exist?

I have tried meetup.com but the meetups in my town all meet during the week and I work. My son goes to daycare and you never see the parents and there is no parent involvement. I have tried cafemom of course for local groups but they are defunct groups that haven't been active in many months or years. I have tried church but am shy to go to a small church and the big churches are so big that you never see the same people and people just go there and then leave immediately and small groups never meet when I could go and I have no babysitter. Please help- I am desperate to have some friends!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2012 in Just for Fun

• Start volunteering some where. I met a lot of people doing that in the area I am in. I moved here in 2004 or so and knew no one. By the time my dd was born and other kids were in school a year or so we did after school sports and I also met other parents that way. But volunteering somewhere is a great way to meet decent people in real life.

Answer by gemgem at 11:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• wow...it sounds as if you've covered many of the basis. Online friends are fine and all, but they aren't someone you can have dinner with, go to a movie with, or run to when you just need to get away. I'd say try church again. There are bible studies some of the larger churches host which will offer smaller group settings. While I appreciate that you are shy, try not let that handicap you from good healthy friendships. You may have to get out of your comfort zone a bit and introduce yourself to others.
    Is your craving for friendships greater than the shyness that is holding you back?
    Cafe mom is nice and all for a bit of support, but I have made my friends in church settings....bunko nights....etc.
    Best wishes to you :) Everyone deserves a friend!
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2012

• I know how it is to get wrapped up as a working mom (I struggled hard as a single working mom). It can destroy the thought process incredibly. I got used to no friends (actually too tired for friends).

My suggestion is to not chase people to be friends, but to create an interest that could bridge into friendship. This way you will weed out the weirdos that want to latch on for unhealthy reasons.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2012

• I think you've come to the right place, as far as virtual friends. Real friends? Much, much harder to find.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2012

• Libraries,parks,book stores are some ideas. I am painfully shy IRL but I actually met two of my very good friends at the park(and one I actually met at a store because our kids were dressed identical and it started a conversation-weird uh?) because our kids were playing together sometimes it works out other times it doesn't good luck. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2012

• I found time to go to the local coffee shop when I moved to Iowa and got to know a lot of people that way :)
    ginger5653

Answer by ginger5653 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2012

• volunteering is a great way to meet people; a church committee, stocking shelves at a food pantry, etc.

you can find more ideas here:  http://www.volunteermatch.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2012